: Good Tranny Shop in North Denver Metro

Yanman
08-10-2011, 01:05 PM
It looks like I'm going to need to have some tranny work done.

The old 88 R150F tranny keeps going strong, but since the SAS/Lift and Dual T-case build the tranny now pops out of gear intermittenly, probably due to the friction of the new gears in the new t-cases.

Not something I want to have happen when I'm out on the trails going over obsticles.

So, I've done a little research, very little, I called AAMCO and got a 9 hour labor price of $874 which includes removing and reinstalling the tranny. No idea about parts cost until they crack it open.

I've also thought about getting a remaned, beefed up R150F tranny from Marlin for around $1800 plus shipping from Cali. Then I would borrow/rent a tranny jack and install it myself.

So, I'm open to other ideas about good tranny shops in North metro Denver that could rebuild it, or if there are any takers out there that could rebuild it. I of course will want to help and learn, as well as pay my benafactor.

todefy
08-10-2011, 01:58 PM
Checked with any local yards for a replacement? I got a w56 from Yota Jim's for $150. Two and a half hours to swap it and done.

vwfastg60
08-10-2011, 02:33 PM
have you looked at the body where the shifters come through? My 4wd case does ti from time to time cause it bumps the body sometimes.

Yanman
08-10-2011, 03:10 PM
Checked with any local yards for a replacement? I got a w56 from Yota Jim's for $150. Two and a half hours to swap it and done.

I did think about that, the issue there is that it being a junkyard tranny I have no idea if its better or worse than the tranny I already have.

have you looked at the body where the shifters come through? My 4wd case does ti from time to time cause it bumps the body sometimes.

No issues there.

mrdoug
08-10-2011, 03:44 PM
I'm sort of in the same boat.. the 1st gear in my 151 is giving me the same sort of issues, and facing the same sort of options. Junkyard replacements are a gamble. Sometimes you score, other times you get screwed.. just the nature of the beast (I know todfy went thru at least one screwed one from a recycler).

If you want/need a tranny jack to do it yourself, you can borrow mine. I wouldn't trust any ol tranny shop to fix mine. I'd either go with forking out the $$$$$ (is that enough $$ signs?) for marlin, or try my luck with junkyard replacement.

TacoBlanca97
08-10-2011, 09:18 PM
Yeah, I would think twice before doing business with AAMCO.http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/aamco.htm;)

Yanman
08-11-2011, 06:48 AM
If you want/need a tranny jack to do it yourself, you can borrow mine.

Thanks Doug, when I get enough pennies saved up I'll take you up on your offer. Assuming that it will be available.

Yeah, I would think twice before doing business with AAMCO.http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/aamco.htm;)

That was the feeling I got too, hence me asking about other tranny shops. But at least I got an idea on cost of labor.

I thought about calling up a dealership, just for laughs, knowing that it would be twice or three times the amount that AAMCO wants. :rolleyes:

So, any wheeling I do between now and then will have to be moderate trails without any or very little steep inclines and declines.

LOL, when its all said and done I'm going to have a brand new drive train.

TacoBlanca97
08-11-2011, 09:17 AM
I'm at work so I am not able to post the link, but you might give Jesse at ATLR.net a call.

Yanman
08-11-2011, 12:10 PM
Can you shoot me his number via PM? Or I can wait until you can post up the link.

EDIT:

Called Jesse at ATLR and he does not do trannys, he did recommend Slee. I called Slee and they too do not do trannys, but they recommended Marlin.

So, there you have it. :lmao:

What about Inchworm Gear?

They sell that remaned tranny as well, they also offer a longer warranty (additional 6 months), and they are cheaper ($1645.00), than Marlin.

00regcab
08-15-2011, 06:02 PM
Ive always had great customer service with inchworm and for the most part, good ship times. Products have always been on par with what they say they are selling.

thefatkid
08-15-2011, 11:10 PM
Have you tried shifter seat bushings yet? Can you duplicate it on a regular basis?

How long could you be with out the transmission?

Yanman
08-16-2011, 06:35 AM
Have not tried the seat bushings, haven't even taken it apart. I pretty much know zero about trannys. All I can go off of is what the factory service manual suggests.

It does not jump out of gear on a regular basis. The first few times it did it was when I would be at a stop light, I have it in 1st and I try to go and it would pop out of gear then. It would usually do it while drivng on the street, but it would only do it half the time.

Out on the trail it did do it more often and it didn't matter what gear it was in, especially when the truck was being jarred around going over rough terrain.

The thing is the last trail I went on it didn't do it once. Same thing with driving it out on the street. I'm kind of hoping that I just need to break in the new gears on the new t-cases.

The truck is not my daily driver so I could do with out it for a while. However, I would still like to finish out this wheeling season, but if I could get in and fixed at a reasonable cost (I'm hoping for well under $1k) I would go for it. Even better if I could help and learn all about that tranny from someone who knows what they are doing.

thefatkid
08-17-2011, 02:12 PM
If you feel like driving all the way down south (Littleton) we could try some shifter seats and bushings. Poping out of gear is not typical and could requre costly repairs internal to the transmission. It would usually be better to get a good core and rebuild that one. A marlin rebuild kit only includes wear parts, not hard parts like shift forks, hubs, and gears (parts needed to cure a poping out of gear issues).

Are you blessed with any other transmission issues?

Yanman
08-17-2011, 02:28 PM
If you feel like driving all the way down south (Littleton) we could try some shifter seats and bushings.

I would greatly appreciate and be open for that. Not sure about this coming weekend, but the following I could stop by.

Poping out of gear is not typical and could requre costly repairs internal to the transmission. It would usually be better to get a good core and rebuild that one. A marlin rebuild kit only includes wear parts, not hard parts like shift forks, hubs, and gears (parts needed to cure a poping out of gear issues).

Yeah, thats what I'm affraid of. The Factory Service Manual says the same thing you just did. Which sucks.

Are you blessed with any other transmission issues?

LOL, well nothing as serious as it poping out of gear. When its in gear, I can move the lever around, but I think thats just normal wear and tear. Also, on just a personal preference, I'd like it to be more of a short shifter like the 03 R150F thats in my Taco.