: QUESTION: how do i remove diesel from gas can?

hammerdown
10-07-2005, 10:25 AM
i found several german military fuel cans at a surplus store for cheap, in good condition, but they were used for diesel previously. there is no diesel left in them, but a slight residual on the walls of the can and bottom.
question #1: is it neccissary to clean the can before adding gasoline?
question #2: if so, what do i use???

should i try to let them dry out? blow compressed air inside? use rags? is this a lost cause?

help please :confused:

J-Man
10-07-2005, 11:06 AM
dood, that is the greatest avatar ive seen in a while. hmmmmmmmm. Since diesel is a bi-product of gas, i'm pretty sure youll be okay - just as long as there isnt any liquid diesel left inside. Otherwise, spray some citrus cleaner or other de-greaser in there, fillla litte water, shake and rinse well and let dry upside down. All will be good.

hammerdown
10-07-2005, 11:17 AM
thanks man... i think shes the chick from FX's dvd on tv. can't remember her name... go figure.

the only prob with the degreaser method, is that the fuel can has a chamber divider in the middle, and i dont know how dry i'll be able to get it after adding water. maybe i can add some of that dry-gas stuff they have at walmart for snow areas. hmmmmmmmm...

J-Man
10-07-2005, 11:19 AM
if your that worried, then just go buy some quick dry electronics cleaner and spray that up in there. IT'll automatically dry everything inside.

hammerdown
10-07-2005, 11:28 AM
if your that worried, then just go buy some quick dry electronics cleaner and spray that up in there. IT'll automatically dry everything inside.

good call. i forgot about that stuff.

ShowStop
10-07-2005, 11:46 AM
i found several german military fuel cans at a surplus store for cheap, in good condition, but they were used for diesel previously. there is no diesel left in them, but a slight residual on the walls of the can and bottom.

should i try to let them dry out? blow compressed air inside? use rags? is this a lost cause?

When I worked at a gas station, we used gasoline to clean diesel contaimination. Works pretty good. Just put a little gas in the cans, swish it around, then pour it out. Cans should be ready for gas. Use the bad gas for a lawn mower or something.

99ARTaco
10-07-2005, 12:40 PM
I second the pouring of a little gas in the can and swishing it around a bit. It should clean that gunk right out of there. :flamethro :explode: :explode: :explode:

01taco4x4
10-07-2005, 01:06 PM
Little bit of deisel wont hurt a gas motor anyways. Just add gas. If all it is is residue then dont worry bout it.

DakotaTacoma
10-07-2005, 06:04 PM
Little bit of deisel wont hurt a gas motor anyways. Just add gas. If all it is is residue then dont worry bout it.

True that, I reused my dad's diesel cans and they still had a small amount of diesel sloshing around in the bottom. 0 issues. At the time he said it might even lubricate the valves and would be good for the truck.....

A little reside on the side of the can, like you have, will do nothing at all to your engine.

AngryAndy
10-07-2005, 06:23 PM

Matt-

I agree with others....the diesel should not be a big deal...but I wouild clean them for sure, just cause I am a neat freak like that.

I would use laquer thinner....its highly flammable, and any residual thinner would probably dissapate within a day or so at most...that shit tends to dry up quick...

Electronics cleaner is expen$ive....use brakleen or carb cleaner instead...but I would still use thinner before that....

Off topic....I need your cell#...I was working yesterday on Broadway between 13th and 15th and could have sworn I saw you...i saw quite a few ambulances with full lights on and everytime I was looking to see if you were there!!!! LOL....

hammerdown
10-07-2005, 11:09 PM
you have mail.

TacoDell
10-09-2005, 01:45 AM
Just fill 'em up with gas and use 'em. If it's just residue. Don't clean with other hazardous crap that you have to figure out how to dispose of. There's no need for all that hassle. Mix the first batch with a fairly full tank of fuel and it will dilute it to a nearly untraceable level...