: Gotta question about motor earl (oil)???

txtaco1
12-30-2004, 03:07 PM
I've seen quite a few posts here about the types and brand of oil to run. I have skimmed thru the posts but, reading about other peoples oil is BORING!!! Anyway, I read something a while back about a particular brand name (I can't remember) turning to sludge basiclly inside your motor. I would like someone to tell me the brand name was NOT Royal Purple??? Anyone run RP and like or dislike it?

Other than that I'm wondering a little bit about this amrsoil oil? People only changing oil once or twice a year??? I would like to hear more about this...

With Mobil 1 do you also get the long intervals between oil changes?

Thanks,

Jason

Greycat4x4
12-30-2004, 03:55 PM
I normally change my oil with Castrol, I used it in my KX125/250/500 and never had a problem with it. I change my oil every 3000-5000 miles and have no oil related problems. I used to use Mobil 1 but my milage was really no better than with a non-synthetic. So I opted to save some money and used Castrol 5W30. But I know people who hate Castrol so its sort of a personal preference thing. Oil is kinda like tires, most everybody swears by one brand and will tell you about their bad luck with other oil or tires.

Just remember that the longer the oil is in the engine, no matter what type of oil, the longer abrasive particles circulate in the engine.

Steve

Gadget
12-30-2004, 04:06 PM
You can download the Motor Oil Bible from my site. If you read it through you will then know more about motor oil then 99.9% of the professional mechanics out there.

www.GadgetOnline.com/MOB.exe

ARB1977
12-30-2004, 05:32 PM
I've seen quite a few posts here about the types and brand of oil to run. I have skimmed thru the posts but, reading about other peoples oil is BORING!!! Anyway, I read something a while back about a particular brand name (I can't remember) turning to sludge basiclly inside your motor. I would like someone to tell me the brand name was NOT Royal Purple??? Anyone run RP and like or dislike it?

Other than that I'm wondering a little bit about this amrsoil oil? People only changing oil once or twice a year??? I would like to hear more about this...

Thanks,

Jason
Im currently using redline synthetic throughout my 2002 V6 auto and it seems to do very well. I only change it every 5K since i got that crappy prepaid maintence from the dealer when i bought the truck. Ive only got 10K left on the plan and once thats up ill run the oil for 10K and do an anlisys. Everyone seems to like those moble 1 oil fitlers. Im courious on how that combination will work. Its all about preference.

Boheefus
12-30-2004, 08:53 PM
I prefer Johnson's it stays smooth for a loong time....

wrigley123
12-31-2004, 03:58 AM
Change my oil in all of my cars/trucks every 3000 miles religiously. I have always used whatever name brand oil is on sale at the time. I have NEVER noticed any kind of drastic mileage/performance change for the better or worse based on the kind of oil I use. I think the single most important inexpensive preventative maintenance anyone can do on their vehicle is to change the oil regularly.

MIke

camaddy
12-31-2004, 07:16 AM

Thanks,

Jason

Any synthetic oil will give you longer intervals. A lot of people on this board have had good experiences with Amsoil. I personally use Mobil 1 synthetic 10w30 in the summer and 5w30 in the winter and go 6000 miles in between changes. There is a lot of debate as to whether synthetic oil is worth the added cost...but I think it more than pays for itself because with conventional oil you have to change it twice as often. Be sure to use a quality filter as well (WIX, Napa Gold, OEM, Amsoil, etc.)

drinkintedbr
12-31-2004, 06:19 PM
The brand name was Penzoil. I noticed 3mpg better gas mileage on the highway with mobile 1 10w30, than with Valvoline high miles. Amsoil is good stuff. A couple of my friends that street race brag about it alot.

BLOWNYOTA
01-02-2005, 02:47 PM
I know this may sound a little odd as i have not been a member for more than a day now, but i have tested alot of oils in my 4-stroke mxr's (aka YZ426, YZ250f, and RMZ250) and ran pretty much every motorcycle, and automotive specific oil in them. I had alot of sucess from mobil one synthetic and Amsoil synthetic, and was actually content with sticking to amsoil untill my place of employment stopped stocking it. I was then introduced to a French oil called MOTUL and used a full synthetic named E-tech. I was extremely happy with the oil, my clutches lasted wayyyyyyy longer and topends too. i asked the MOTUL rep if they made a automotive oil and he said yes, and claimed that MOTUL was what factory ferarri runs (which i have not verified). Unfortunetly the oil only comes in 5, 15 and 54 gallon quantities and is a little on the expensive side 11.63 a litre in the 5 gal can. (that price is at cost too) But at this point i am extremely pleased with the oil and will most likely never go back to anything else, unless my place of emloyment stops being a MOTUL dealer....which isn't going to happen if i have something to say about it . ok.........im done now.

96tacolx
01-02-2005, 04:15 PM
I`ve used all kinds of regular motor oil over the years (except Quaker State ) and have never noticed much of a difference. I worked at a garage for a few years after high school an noticed that Quaker State was the worst as far as breaking down and gumming up an engine. I use non synthetic because personally that helps me to remember that I need to crawl under the truck and look for other potential problems(grease u-joints,check for leaks, etc...) every 3000 miles.

Whatever you use it`s a good idea to get to know your truck from underneath at least every 3000. ( IMHO )

Bryanccfshr
01-02-2005, 04:39 PM

Thanks,

Jason

Education is a beutifull thing.. educate yourself http://www.bobistheoilguy.com

Bryanccfshr
01-02-2005, 04:43 PM
The brand name was Penzoil. I noticed 3mpg better gas mileage on the highway with mobile 1 10w30, than with Valvoline high miles. Amsoil is good stuff. A couple of my friends that street race brag about it alot.

Myth. :rolleyes: Seriously I run 7500 mile intervals on dno on one of my vehicles 15 k on synthetic on another and the Taco gets more conservative OCI's due to offroad environments.
Any approved motor oil will get the job done, some better than others. There is no need to pay for information when there is so much available for free..see previous post.