: timing chain

tacotoy
10-09-2005, 10:07 PM
who wants to replace this with me? i figure at 108k its about time. any other stuff i should be doing at this high of mileage? fuel filter....... go find some writeups of all this lol and then come help me do it!

DriftinCO
10-11-2005, 06:18 AM
I wonder how many other people need new timing belts, hoses and such.

tacotoy
10-11-2005, 07:06 PM
hmmmmmmm i wonder......... some things the world may never know

Commutacoma
10-11-2005, 10:35 PM
This is a pretty cool set of docs on it
http://www.toy4x4.net/timing_belt/index.htm

Personally, I just paid Anthony (twice) to do mine last time I did it.
**** if you are planning on putting in a water pump, do yourself a favor and carefully inspect the outlet snout that goes to the oil cooler. My NEW Toyota one leaked and I had to replace it 1 month later once we figured out what it was. It was a slightly crooked insertion of that oil cooler snout during manufacturing. Burt Toyota made good on the refund but I had to basically do the belt again to replace the pump. In my explanation to Burt, the counterman pulled every pump out of stock and I showed them that about half were suspect.

tacotoy
10-16-2005, 01:29 AM
hey tom in your research do they make a performance water pump for our trucks? i have this rule that whatever goes back in has to be better than what used to be in there...... so if im going to replace the water pump(because eh im there aren't i?) then i want it to be either a higher flow or high strength or whatever options are available if any. plus i dont want to be cool like you lol

little_red1
10-16-2005, 08:32 AM
When are you planning to do this? I have never done it before but am interested in learning. I'm a quick learner and usually pretty good at pulling stuff like this together.

tacotoy
10-16-2005, 11:29 AM
uh dont you have a 2.7? i dont think that the front of our engines is going to be the same......

DriftinCO
10-16-2005, 05:29 PM
I have been thinking about who gets to install Chester's timing belt too...at 120K it might be getting worn a bit.

The Camry I have, has 150K and the timing belt was replaced at 60K...hmmmm...

Lysmachia
10-16-2005, 07:42 PM
Well youknow i'm totally there to help in any way I can after you got all greasy and towed my ass around town....

tacotoy
10-16-2005, 08:21 PM
lol. yeah i just need to find someone that has the special tool for the timing chain replacement

Lysmachia
10-17-2005, 01:03 PM
lol. yeah i just need to find someone that has the special tool for the timing chain replacement

Are you saying I don;t have enought tools?!? :neener:

tacotoy
10-17-2005, 07:27 PM
you dont.... lol there is a special tool that holds some stuff at the right tension when you pull it all apart......... i cant remember what but i know it exists for a reason lol

Commutacoma
10-17-2005, 09:33 PM
I have a pump from Napa. That was the only place open when Antny and I got the new one off again and deterimed the problem. Anthony liked the Napa product's design after seeing it.
The link I gave you shows how to make the tool for the tensioner.

Personally, I would rather clean toilets than attempt this job. Additonally, you need a torque wrench capable of 224 Ft-LBS. Most $70 ones only go to 150. You need a $200 plus wrench if you do not own one.

Secondly, there can also be problems where you need to heli-coil some crap after it comes out wrong. Did not happen to me but Anthony and CChark were crossing their fingers during one part of the operation.

Son of Mayhem
10-18-2005, 12:17 AM
i need to get mine done too. anyone up for it?lol. got money

little_red1
10-18-2005, 01:10 PM
uh dont you have a 2.7? i dont think that the front of our engines is going to be the same......

Who said anything about my truck. I just want to learn how to do it. That way if I come across it again in the future I'll have an idea of what to do. yea, my truck's different than yours but I'm sure the idea is still the same regardless of the engine.

little_red1
10-18-2005, 01:11 PM
you dont.... lol there is a special tool that holds some stuff at the right tension when you pull it all apart......... i cant remember what but i know it exists for a reason lol
do you have all the tools? and you didn't answer me before. When are you planning to do this?

tacotoy
10-18-2005, 06:44 PM
the only thing thats complicated is getting the tool that holds the gears together or apart or whatever. and thats just to make it easier. aside from that its just a glorified radiator drain and water pump change

Firetacoma
10-20-2005, 11:10 AM
ps it's a belt, not a chain.

tacotoy
10-20-2005, 07:29 PM
no wonder i have to replace it. i like chevys better for that..... you know when it breaks because well you stop lol. do i have to line up any marks though when i do this? or take the belt off and put the new one on doesn't matter if a pulley turns or not?

Commutacoma
10-21-2005, 08:06 PM
ps it's a belt, not a chain.

The implication is clear.... He talks about this like it is a glorified radiator flush but doesn't realize it is not a chain.

This would be fun to watch

Mythica
10-22-2005, 12:26 PM
As far as I know it has to go back onto the exact same marks. The new "belt" will have marks but you need to make sure that the #1 cylinder (if memory serves correct it is #1) is TDC and stays that way while you do it. There will be a mark on each on of the pulleys and idlers, which lines up with marks on the new belt.

I would do a bit more research before you go pulling it apart. Especially if itís your daily driver. It is a pretty big job.

Once you get in there you might want to check on the Idler pulleys as well.

Do you have a tech manual for your truck? If not go get one and read it cover to cover.

Good Luck!

blown4runner
10-29-2005, 01:19 PM
So is it a belt or a chain??? Belts are gravy, chains are a bit more complicated and usually involve an interference motor, so don't mess up on timing ;) . If it is in fact a belt as everyone is saying (ie. 5VZ-FE), then you'll have no problem. The easiest way is to set the timing at zero before removing the idkler bearing (hence tension on the belt). I've done a good number of belts on the 5VZ-FE motor and I'm down to about an hour tear down w/water pump to running. And yes replace your w/pump, especially if it's never been replaced. They've redesigned the gasket. No more FIPG! Let me know if ya need any hinters :D

Lysmachia
10-29-2005, 05:50 PM
My place is open if you all want to come up and wrench here. (3 car garage) Or we can see if there is something down towards south Denver to be more central to you colo springs kids. I can ask Anthony tomorrow if he'd be willing to loan his timing belt/chain tool if he has one.

blown4runner
10-31-2005, 07:18 PM
Hey, still up for Sun Nov 13...? Our house... hot tub. We've got everything for a simple timing belt. Let me know

Nicole :D

tacotoy
10-31-2005, 08:52 PM
we need to do the water pump too lol..... how much does one cost anyways?

Lysmachia
10-31-2005, 11:11 PM
Hey, still up for Sun Nov 13...? Our house... hot tub. We've got everything for a simple timing belt. Let me know

Nicole :D

Hell yeah I'm there - I'll bring Darrick too. It's my turn to help someone else fix their chit :D Hey the least we can do is mess around with photoshop Nicole!

Commutacoma
11-01-2005, 10:22 PM
Water pump is somewhere near $100 I think, plus or minus 20.

Not a $25 part.

tacotoy
11-01-2005, 11:19 PM
no biggie....... considering it gets about 100k miles to the pump thats about a buck every thousand miles...... cheaper than oil

blown4runner
11-02-2005, 01:55 PM
I've got one of the old w/pumps that you gotta use FIPG laying around. I've been waiting for mine to leak, but yet so far no coolant where it shouldn't be. Plus if you FIPG it enough it shouldn't leak... :D

I'll get a price on t/belt, d/belts, ft crk seal and w/pump. :rolleyes:

blown4runner
11-02-2005, 01:58 PM
Hell yeah I'm there - I'll bring Darrick too. It's my turn to help someone else fix their chit :D Hey the least we can do is mess around with photoshop Nicole!

Yeah, we're going to mess up Rich's truck big time ;)
Tell Darrick no getting in the hot tub naked :eek:

Lysmachia
11-02-2005, 07:12 PM
I can account for myself but there's no telling what these white devils (Darrick and Rich) will do....

And Darrick allways wants to go naked - were gonna have to bribe him!

tacotoy
11-02-2005, 10:27 PM
i have a wide collection of board shorts to wear....... the good old days of wakeboarding n kneeboarding

blown4runner
11-03-2005, 06:57 PM
Yeah, well it aint anything I haven't seen, but it would be a travesty if we got kicked out our neghborhood :p

blown4runner
11-03-2005, 06:58 PM
i have a wide collection of board shorts to wear....... the good old days of wakeboarding n kneeboarding

They fit right? :D

little_red1
11-06-2005, 08:49 AM
who wants to replace this with me? i figure at 108k its about time. any other stuff i should be doing at this high of mileage? fuel filter....... go find some writeups of all this lol and then come help me do it!
I don't know if you've done this or not yet but I found this link that may be of some use for you: http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/maintenance/timing_belt/

tacotoy
11-06-2005, 11:49 AM
were having a party to do it.....

little_red1
11-06-2005, 06:03 PM
I would think a wrench-a-thon would be more appropriate for doing something like that,,, LOL

Lysmachia
11-06-2005, 06:12 PM
I would think a wrench-a-thon would be more appropriate for doing something like that,,, LOL

Isn't a wrench-a-thon the same thing?? WTF? *grin*

blown4runner
11-06-2005, 06:37 PM

Hell yeah! Hey, um... my address is on my thread on general discussion and on offical events. But I figured the beer involved should warant we to move this from official events.

tacotoy
11-06-2005, 11:01 PM
psh i dont care..... its for my truck lmao so that makes it official

blown4runner
11-07-2005, 10:25 AM
sure, sounds good! Hee, hee... I looped a few more techs to coming over, so we should be able to figure out this shifter deal on little_red1's truck! :D Just hope to God I bring all the tools I need.

Hey, we'll have beer and crap, but if ya drink something special bring it...

blown4runner
11-07-2005, 10:38 AM
I don't know if you've done this or not yet but I found this link that may be of some use for you: http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/maintenance/timing_belt/

We'll be ok, Darryl and I have done more of these timing belts than we can count. Darryl could probably do this asleep and blindfolded ;)

But if you have any links to some general instruction on your shifter so I know what tools to bring, that would be awesome :D

tacotoy
11-07-2005, 10:58 AM
whos shifter are you talking about? mollys?

blown4runner
11-07-2005, 12:38 PM
whos shifter are you talking about? mollys?

Little_Red1 has a 2nd shifter to install... assuming its aftermarket, have no clue what the core part is we are installing it on... Marlin Crawler??? Need info :D

Lysmachia
11-07-2005, 12:43 PM
Stop talking about my shifter dammit!!!!!! God you people allways have your minds in the gutter. I have to go find myself a cleaner group of peeps to wheel with!

tacotoy
11-07-2005, 02:10 PM
how familar are you with the t-case linkage? within the case i guess there are 2 shafts to engage both drivelines but they are linked together with some sort of pin. the twin stick seperates those and allows you to shift into 2 lo and yada. not quite sure how it works with the old school ADD front diffs though cause thats what chris is running along with a stock 2.7l tcase. couldn't you just put a switch on the sensor line from the t-case and accomplish the same thing?

Lysmachia
11-07-2005, 02:29 PM
Yeah, we're going to mess up Rich's truck big time ;)
Tell Darrick no getting in the hot tub naked :eek:

Hey I can account for myself - but not the other white devils!

blown4runner
11-07-2005, 04:05 PM
Hey, told you I was doing that oil seal on tcase... while I was under my car I realized that my sway bar link was broken... its all bent up and broken where it mounts. I bet that's where my ticking noise was coming from. If memory serves me right the noise began after Hell Revenge :D

Lysmachia
11-07-2005, 05:41 PM
Doh! Well now we have another rig to work on! Saweet...

blown4runner
11-07-2005, 06:16 PM
how familar are you with the t-case linkage? within the case i guess there are 2 shafts to engage both drivelines but they are linked together with some sort of pin. the twin stick seperates those and allows you to shift into 2 lo and yada. not quite sure how it works with the old school ADD front diffs though cause thats what chris is running along with a stock 2.7l tcase. couldn't you just put a switch on the sensor line from the t-case and accomplish the same thing?

So this is an aftermarket deal? I am confused, what are you trying to say Rich... And what the hell is 2 lo? The last tcase I knew of switched from 2wd to 4 hi or 4 lo. Uh, maybe I just have the case of the stupids. Um... if this is aftermarket please tell me we aren't taking the tcase apart... um cause of preloads and chit like that. :cool:

blown4runner
11-07-2005, 06:20 PM
Doh! Well now we have another rig to work on! Saweet...

Yeah, well hate to burst any bubbles, but I was bored snotless today and managed to get my seal done, replaced my busted sway bar link and wash my car twice... Oh yeah, and tell an anal retentive cust there was nothing wrong with their veh... :rolleyes:

I love it, you tell someone there veh is operating fine and they look and act totally disappointed... I hate people, hence why I work on cars :cool:

AngryAndy
11-07-2005, 06:47 PM
I hate people, hence why I work on cars :cool:

Sorry Sister...you have NO IDEA.....I hate people more then I hate work. Hell, I actually ENJOY my job....probably cause I don't have to deal with too many people, and those I do deal with speak mostly spanish.

Thank god I am working by myself the rest of the week.....

blown4runner
11-07-2005, 06:54 PM
Sorry Sister...you have NO IDEA.....I hate people more then I hate work. Hell, I actually ENJOY my job....probably cause I don't have to deal with too many people, and those I do deal with speak mostly spanish.

Thank god I am working by myself the rest of the week.....

Hee, hee the spanish thing can either be good or bad... I suppose in your case it is good. I am not sure that you hate people all that more than I do... Half the time I just want to nuke the hell out of everything. But, um yeah... I don't know much of anything :D

Lysmachia
11-07-2005, 07:26 PM
Yeah - you two actually could be brother and sister with your hatred of people :D (Which cracks me up on a regular basis BTW)

So if Andy is Rich's Dad.... and Nicole is Andy's Sister... then Nicole is Rich's Uncle? (I am not EVEN going to try to figure out how I fit in that mix!)

It's a F'd up world we live in.

blown4runner
11-07-2005, 07:42 PM
Yeah - you two actually could be brother and sister with your hatred of people :D (Which cracks me up on a regular basis BTW)

So if Andy is Rich's Dad.... and Nicole is Andy's Sister... then Nicole is Rich's Uncle? (I am not EVEN going to try to figure out how I fit in that mix!)

It's a F'd up world we live in.

Hee, hee... You are Rich's sister and Andy's wife.. :eek: jk. That would be fuct up actually. This is why I should keep my thoughts to myself :rolleyes:

Lysmachia
11-07-2005, 07:46 PM
I aint no Andy's wife! But he might be my bitch. Ah hell Andy can be the shared CoTTORA Bitch!

See Andy? Look what happens when you go around invading other people's clubs. You're next Dean!

blown4runner
11-07-2005, 07:54 PM
I aint no Andy's wife! But he might be my bitch. Ah hell Andy can be the shared CoTTORA Bitch!

Hey, just trying to fit everyone in this fuct up family... but COTTORA bitch is a good call

See Andy? Look what happens when you go around invading other people's clubs. You're next Dean!

Yeah, what have you done Molly. Every since you've come back there has been this Andy invasion :eek:

Lysmachia
11-07-2005, 08:41 PM
Ever since I've come back? That CoTTORA Bitch (http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19657) started invading us last week!

AngryAndy
11-07-2005, 08:41 PM

Wait, I THOUGHT Rich was your BROTHER. He told me many times that you were his SISTER.....And I am the one who called him my SON.

Therefore, I am BOTH your daddy's.........

I ain't nobody's bitch....

blown4runner
11-08-2005, 10:48 PM
Wait, I THOUGHT Rich was your BROTHER. He told me many times that you were his SISTER.....And I am the one who called him my SON.

Therefore, I am BOTH your daddy's.........

I ain't nobody's bitch....

Your both their daddys... ;)

tacotoy
11-08-2005, 11:30 PM
lol he kinda does have that inbred feel to him lmao

Lysmachia
11-08-2005, 11:49 PM
Don't you guys go twisting this chit around on me... Next thing I know Darrick, Rich and Andy will all be my Daddy. Nuh-uh! :shame:

AngryAndy
11-08-2005, 11:53 PM
lol he kinda does have that inbred feel to him lmao

Are you referring to ME??

At least from YOUR point of view, you know who your daddy is...we have already answered that part.

Out here in Cali; we have a saying...."whos your daddy"...and we have LOTSA mothers who DON'T know who their babies daddy really is....

you seem to have the opposite problem....we all know who the DADDY is, the real question now is...."whos your MOMMY???".......

AngryAndy
11-08-2005, 11:55 PM
Don't you guys go twisting this chit around on me... Next thing I know Darrick, Rich and Andy will all be my Daddy. Nuh-uh! :shame:

You already said Rich is your brother. I already said Rich is my son...therefore....

maybe Darrick is......um......the power bottom?

Maybe we should arrange a Montel Williams show, he can do DNA testing for us all and clear it all up.

blown4runner
11-10-2005, 08:44 PM
Ok, um for the work on your trucks on my day off party... It'll start around 12/1PMish. Or when ever Rich gets the house I suppose. I wanna try and get this shit done before the sun goes down... I am sure most people at my house will have to work the next day... minus Molly, who sucks for that :baby:

DriftinCO
11-11-2005, 08:03 AM
what? first rule of the hot tub at MY house is "clothing is optional" LOL well, at least after the sun goes down....

blown4runner
11-11-2005, 06:15 PM
what? first rule of the hot tub at MY house is "clothing is optional" LOL well, at least after the sun goes down....

You really wanna see Rich naked :eek: