TTORA Forum banner

electronic ignition conversion on '73 F-engine

8K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  cruiseroutfit 
#1 ·
I have a '73 FJ-40 with the F-engine in it that is still with the point ignition and I am looking to convert it to a fully electronic. I am curious if anyone else has done this before and which kits to go with and which to stay away from etc.. I would prefer to put in an MSD kit but I have not been able to find any info on it so I do not even know if they make one for a '73. I have heard of a few that like Jacobs ign. but I have heard of others that do not. Specter carries a kit by Crane Cams but I have never heard of any of their products before. Any info would be appreciated.

#2 ·
I don't know where you are located, but my buddy, Ron Diaz of Custom Cruisers FJ40 is a wealth of Cruiser knowledge. He is here in Gilroy, you should call him or e-mail him. www.customcruiserfj40.com

Another good place for Cruiser info I'm sure seen posted in here is www.ih8mud.com. There's different forums for all different styles of cruisers.

#3 ·
I used to run the "Mel's" electronic ignition conversion from JTOutfitters.com. I had no problems with it when I was running it. My distributor shaft bushing wore out and I replaced the dist. with a non-USA dist. with vacuum advance. It had points in it and I didn't bother putting in the Mel's kit. The points have run very reliably ever since.

Plus, I keep a spare set in the glovebox just in case. Easy to replace and spares are readily available at any parts store. Not so with the Mel's kit. I'm a firm believer in user-serviceable parts now-a-days. Points are the way to go. OEM Toyota are NOT expensive for a smart shopper (i.e. TLCA discount).

Holler if you have any specific questions. I have a '72 FJ40 with lots of mods -- trail rig.

Jody.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.