: How is Columbus?

crolison
01-04-2012, 06:04 PM
Hello guys,

I have a chance at a job in Columbus (going up the 12th for an interview), and wanted to get your opinions on the city/wheeling scene?

Thanks,
Chris

head
01-04-2012, 06:12 PM
I went to OSU and liked the town. I'm not a partier and there was still tons to do. As for a wheeling scene, pretty much non-existant.

crolison
01-04-2012, 08:31 PM
does ohio use road salt?

head
01-04-2012, 08:39 PM
does ohio use road salt?

yes!

crolison
01-04-2012, 09:11 PM
yes!

Well there goes my taco frame...........

guess i'll just have to eventually put the engines/axles in another older rig :p

Full_Tilt_Fud
01-05-2012, 06:31 AM
Well there goes my taco frame...........

guess i'll just have to eventually put the engines/axles in another older rig :p

Your tacoma has more than one engine???....no wonder you break so much crap.

crolison
01-05-2012, 11:23 AM
Your tacoma has more than one engine???....no wonder you break so much crap.

compared to your truck i have like 8 engines

bradleyem
01-05-2012, 04:15 PM
I have lived here in Columbus for 23 years. The job market is the thing that attracted me and kept me here. There are quite a few good jobs, and the cost of living is very reasonable. As far as entertainment goes, Columbus is up and coming. There are some nice malls, theatres, comedy clubs, and restaraunts, and downtown Columbus has a pretty good nightlife. Also, the Brewery District has some really good restaraunt/bar scene with some great local brews. IMO the professional sports scene here is severely lacking, but the college sports are pretty good (OSU Buckeyes). Wheeling here is getting scarce (but not yet nonexistant). Most of the good local places to 'wheel have been closed down, but there is still some private property that we can go to, and there are some good places relatively close in PA/KY/IN. Of course, if you have any specific questions, feel free to ask...

Also, the frame on my '95 Tacoma was perfect at 230,000 miles even as much as I beat on it, filled it with mud, and drug it across stuff....and the truck is still going strong from what I hear...

crolison
01-05-2012, 04:31 PM
I have lived here in Columbus for 23 years. The job market is the thing that attracted me and kept me here. There are quite a few good jobs, and the cost of living is very reasonable. As far as entertainment goes, Columbus is up and coming. There are some nice malls, theatres, comedy clubs, and restaraunts, and downtown Columbus has a pretty good nightlife. Also, the Brewery District has some really good restaraunt/bar scene with some great local brews. IMO the professional sports scene here is severely lacking, but the college sports are pretty good (OSU Buckeyes). Wheeling here is getting scarce (but not yet nonexistant). Most of the good local places to 'wheel have been closed down, but there is still some private property that we can go to, and there are some good places relatively close in PA/KY/IN. Of course, if you have any specific questions, feel free to ask...

Also, the frame on my '95 Tacoma was perfect at 230,000 miles even as much as I beat on it, filled it with mud, and drug it across stuff....and the truck is still going strong from what I hear...

Thats the reply I wanted to hear.

I favor the local restaurant/bar/brewery scene :)

Here in Knoxville, TN the only sports we have is college, big basketball football town. 100,000+ drunk fans wandering around and shut down part of the town haha. Down here people are college sports crazy, is it the same in Columbus?

How's the hockey team? I really liked going to our local Southern Professional Hockey League (bottom of the bottom of hockey, ive seen better college games).

I'm a young just starting professional and it seems like Columbus would be good for me (I really need to get away for a while), and a lot better than an alternative of middle of nowhere Texas.

Oh and I'm a Civil/Environmental Engineer

bradleyem
01-05-2012, 04:43 PM
Thats the reply I wanted to hear.

I favor the local restaurant/bar/brewery scene :)

Then you would love the night life here...DEFINATELY try out the Columbus Brewing Company....great micro brews and great food too.

Here in Knoxville, TN the only sports we have is college, big basketball football town. 100,000+ drunk fans wandering around and shut down part of the town haha. Down here people are college sports crazy, is it the same in Columbus?

Yes, Columbus is full of rabid Buckeye fans, myself included. They had a tough year this year (all sports not just football), but overall they are a top school, so it is a great college town. Coming from NY to a Big 10 school, it was a welcome change.

How's the hockey team? I really liked going to our local Southern Professional Hockey League (bottom of the bottom of hockey, ive seen better college games).

Well, if you like watching bad hockey, then you'll be right at home...lol But the Columbus Blue Jackets have a nice new arena and a good following...

I'm a young just starting professional and it seems like Columbus would be good for me (I really need to get away for a while), and a lot better than an alternative of middle of nowhere Texas.

Oh and I'm a Civil/Environmental Engineer

Well, IMO Columbus is a good place to get a start in a professional career, and still have some fun.

crolison
01-05-2012, 04:52 PM
Then you would love the night life here...DEFINATELY try out the Columbus Brewing Company....great micro brews and great food too.

Well, if you like watching bad hockey, then you'll be right at home...lol But the Columbus Blue Jackets have a nice new arena and a good following...

Good and Good

The Knoxville ice bears are the shittiest of shitty hockey teams.

bradleyem
01-05-2012, 05:00 PM
Well, Columbus has a shitty hockey team (Columbus Blue Jackets), a shitty soccer team (Columbus Crew), and a shitty minor league baseball team (Columbus Clippers) although the clippers sometimes get some good entertainment in the form of major league rejects and misfits playing here while suspended...lol

So, if you like to be able to watch mediocre games, then go out on the town afterward, then its the place to be :D

Full_Tilt_Fud
01-05-2012, 05:25 PM
compared to your truck i have like 8 engines

Yes but, my truck weghs half as much lol.

crolison
01-05-2012, 05:32 PM
Yes but, my truck weghs half as much lol.

now your making fun of my weight :xcrybaby:

Full_Tilt_Fud
01-05-2012, 05:52 PM
Im just reading your signature:flipoff1:

crolison
01-05-2012, 06:04 PM
Im just reading your signature:flipoff1:

Todd's alway paying attention to the details

Shakerhood
01-05-2012, 08:52 PM
Good and Good

The Knoxville ice bears are the shittiest of shitty hockey teams.

You would be better off just making a run over to Pittsburgh and watch the Pens, much better team than the BJs.

Full_Tilt_Fud
01-06-2012, 05:05 AM
You would be better off just making a run over to Pittsburgh and watch the Pens, much better team than the BJs.

Or up to Detroit to watch the wings.

crolison
01-07-2012, 03:14 PM
Another question, how leaniant are cops on big trucks?

Do you guys need mud flaps?

Emissions Testing?

bradleyem
01-07-2012, 03:26 PM
Another question, how leaniant are cops on big trucks?

Do you guys need mud flaps?

Emissions Testing?

My tires stuck out about 2" on the tacoma, I had no rear bumper, and I had tinted tail lights and no license plate lights. I never had a problem. As long as you dont bring attention to yourself, you'll be fine.

And no emission testing here :-)

crolison
01-08-2012, 07:08 PM
My tires stuck out about 2" on the tacoma, I had no rear bumper, and I had tinted tail lights and no license plate lights. I never had a problem. As long as you dont bring attention to yourself, you'll be fine.

And no emission testing here :-)

Good, my truck is barely legal in TN, but still legal :)

no emissions here either, but i think i could pass

ohio03trdtaco
01-10-2012, 06:33 AM
That isn't true for all of Ohio though. There is emissions testing in several counties mine included. As for the cops and trucks that can be hit and miss as well. I have had a few people get caught by mostly small towns and sited for equipment issues. Not saying they probably weren't doing something to draw attention to themselves.