TTORA Forum banner

1998 3.4L manual input shaft

4K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  SilverLux 
#1 ·
1998 tacoma 3.4l 4WD extracab SR5

Pilot bearing wore a groove on input shaft.

Any other common options to fix this other than replace input shaft and input shaft bearing? What should I do?

Is there a PDF on the 3.4 manual transmission parts? I don't see anything in the 98-00 fsm.

#2 ·
#3 ·
#5 ·
Damn, I take it the pilot bearing was frozen solid. I've split the transmission before, but never removed the input shaft. Its not too hard to split the trans, but you'll need a press and good lock ring pliers to remove/install the input shaft bearing. To be honest, I can't remember what is needed to separate the input shaft from the main/output shaft.

#10 ·
I take it you've rebuilt a few of these transmissions before? I'm looking into either freshening up my R151 with a new input shaft and 1st-2nd shift fork or just buying a used tranny and hopin' it holds. Any thoughts on this? I've rebuilt engines, but never once tore into a transmission. Automatic or manual, I'm clueless.

#6 ·
When I pulled the t/m the inner ring and ball bearings of the pilot bearing fell on the floor haha.

$351.00 for the input shaft and $65.00 for the input shaft bearing at my local toyota dealer.

Where can I get the cheapest oem front O2 sensor?

this clutch job is getting out of hand.

#9 ·
When I switched engines at 295,XXX I noticed that I still had the factory toyota clutch (worn nearly to the rivets) and my input shaft was wore pretty significantly, similar to the photos above. I used silver solder to build it back up again and filed it down extremely carefully checking tolerances the whole way. Slapped it all back together and I'm at 351,XXX. No problems yet, simple fix if you don't have the money at the moment to fix it or don't wanna crack open your trans. :2cents:

#11 ·
problem solved:

used transmission+transfercase with 107k for $480 came out of a 2000 4runner Woot! Couldn't believe I found a guy selling one right down the street. guess the wifes car got frame damage and was totaled out by insurance company.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.