TTORA Forum banner

exuast manifold glowing

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Teryx 
#1 ·
Ok guys I have a real noob question My exuast manifold is getting glowing a$$ red after a drive but doesnt do it at a idle.The timing is dead nuts on truck starts click of the key.the exuast is free flowing no cat back and muffler temp. removed with test pipe in place.now I do have a carb off a 302 works fine I have even tried to adjust it out some (didnt help).I am leanig towards sucking it up and buying a webber but I really dont want to just throw cash at this thing so any input will help.BTW the motor is a 22re but it is converted to carb with fresh build

#7 ·
The carb is too big, and the jetting is probably off. I would get the stock parts and put it back stock. Getting all the jetting right in that combination is going to be tough. You're going to need some sort of exhaust gas analyzer or at least an oxygen sensor to measure air/fuel. Do a search for spark plug analysis and find the procedure for doing this. It's not as simple as just pulling a plug. You want to test the main circuit not the idle circuit. If you are running lean, you need to fix this soon. If it is over heating that's not a good thing for your valves or head.

#9 ·
ok I got aftermarket oem carb asin some crap like that lol. runs pretty decent but the darn exuast is still glowing red after a long drive.I have put a timing light on it again it says it is on time.So I do have the dizzy adjusted almost the way one way.So could I be a tooth out on the dizzy or the pick up in it going bad I am pretty stumped right now.Btw this motor is built 30 over with .003 decked pistons,eagle rods,268 torker cam with matching valve springs,port and polished head,new oil/water pumps,fuel pump,plugs wires and cap and button new

#10 ·
:doh: It would have been nice if you had mentioned the performance upgrades. Depending on how good the porting job was you could be flowing significantly more through that head. That could account for what you are seeing. If the advance were too far ahead you would be getting detonation. You may be a tooth off, but if the timing is right, it's right. You may still be running lean. You need to check that. If that's OK, I would say it's probably normal. Other guys have seen it too under various conditions. Whenever I have done things like this I've installed an O2 sensor with an air/fuel gauge. There are a couple of different ones, and they can be a big help in setting up the carb or fuel injection.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.