TTORA Forum banner

My first yota

2K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  Tacoma Jake 
#1 ·
Hello, I have been a member for a little while now and I have searched and searched, and now the time has come for me to post some questions up. I have done an introduction in the new members area, but for those who didn't see it, heres the short version.

I have built and driven many jeeps before my last one was stolen which lead to me buying my first Toyota. A white 2003 extra cab, 4x4, 3.4L, auto trans, factory e-locker TRD with 70K miles on the clock. It was originally from California and the first owner had it inspected at a dealership for the frame rust issue. Needless to say it was ok and they recoated the frame and now I have it.

The first modifications will be adding my CB radio and then the grey wire mod. Then will be my suspension. Here is a list of what I have in mind:

-The OME complete kit, from wheelers with the 882 coils on Bilstein 5100 adjustable struts. This kit comes with a lot of parts that seem to be needed to do it right the first time.
-Lite Racing upper control arms.
-Bilstein 5150 shocks for the rear.

For wheels and tires I plan on running the Wheeler's steel wheels type A 15x8.
Tires will be BFG km2's in a 33x10.50.

Let me know what you think and if I happened to be over looking something. Thanks in advance. - Cody

See less See more
#2 ·
I probably should have mentioned that this truck is a D/D. After that I'd lean more towards the Expo style. It see's mostly logging trails/ two tracks and fire service roads. I'm big into the outdoors so it wont be a stranger to hauling my camping gear, canoes, kayaks and the dog. I'm not blazing new trails with it but it does need to get me to our family's pretty remote property up north, especially during the winter months when I only think about snowboarding and snow shoeing. Thanks again.

#6 ·
I shouldn't "need" to re-gear for this tire size. And if I feel I need to later down the road I will re-gear it and that would be the perfect time for a locker install since the diff. will already be apart. As far as sliders and skid plates, I'm just waiting for the steel to come in. < ( this guy is a welder by trade in a fab / job shop).

#10 ·
I figured I'd do gears but not right off the bat. But since we are on the subject and I am new to the Toyota scene... Is there a good place to source gears for our trucks at? Is it like in the Jeep world, where I am looking for Yukon gears or what does anybody suggest? Thanks once more. - Cody

#12 ·
Well I called up Wheeler's yesterday and ordered the parts. Hopefully by next weekend i'll be doing the lift. One more question for you guys. Do I not need to get a longer rear drive shaft? Or because I am staying under a 3" lift there will be enough? Thanks again. -Cody

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.