TTORA Forum banner

Tuneup for a '99 4 banger?

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  centralWAyota 
#1 ·
Hey, just wondering if it is relatively simple to do a tuneup on a '99 4 Cyl? Its running a bit rough (just got it!), and I have a timing light, but no manual just yet. Also, what is the best manual to get IYO? Thanks

#2 ·
www.ncttora.com/fsm

Tune up basics-
Spark plugs
Plug wires (if applicable)
Pcv valve
Fuel filter
Oil and oil filter
Clean throttle body and intake
Clean MAF sensor
Replace air filter

There are plenty other service items depending on your mileage. A basic 30/60k service would be recommended, which basically adds changing all the fluids and greasing the driveshafts.

#3 ·
First, post in the newbie tech section next time.
Second, it'd be best to change the plugs, wires, fuel filter, and air filter. Run some injector cleaner through the tank. Also, since it's a 4cyl, it'd be smart to check the valve lash and the exhaust manifold for cracks.
Third, the online FSM does just fine. Screw the Haynes or chiltons crap.
http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/2003/index.html
Finally, get accustomed to using the search button.

#5 ·
THANK YOU SCUBA!!!!!! A lot of people don't check for the manifold cracks! I didn't know about this and I burnt up two exhaust valves on my 2000 Taco due to the stock manifold cracking, being welded and then cracking again. If you have cracks don't waste time with welding it or with an OE/Junk yard replacement. Headers are worth the $$$ (I like my LC Engineering set). Also, while your there I would replace the emissions pressure sensors & EGR. Its more money but its worth it to avoid issues in the future. Also do a compression test and clean your intake manifold, its gunked up with carbon because of the EGR. The compression test helps you notice problems before they get major. My .02 and I hope it helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.