TTORA Forum banner

255 85 16's or 285 75 16

6K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Tipsovr 
#1 ·
Looking to get mud terrain for the 06 taco. Wondering what people prefer / how much trimming between 255 85 16 and 285 75 16

#5 ·
The 255 85 16 is narrower and requires less trimming while the wheels are being turned under full bump. :2cents:
That has been our experience at least!
^ fixed it for ya ! :)

285 is shorter, not narrower:confused:
285 is shorter by not much, maybe a half an inch or less, more like a true 33" and wider by about an inch. 255's are lighter, have less road resistance due to a narrower contact patch, fit perfect on a 7" wheel, and some argue hook up better on rocks and ice. 285's are better in sand and mud due to more float from the width. I go 285 maxxis bighorns on 16x8's, like them a lot, hook up well on rocks, and am pretty impressed by their snow performance, and looks like i'll get 45,000 plus miles out of them
^ it obviously depends on what brand and load rating one chooses.
IE: the difference of 33.1 and 33.3 is quite marginal...
and if one might rub... it's possible they both could
tho' the narrow tire is less likely ;)

If one chooses to run the 285 over the 255...
I'd recommend changing the wheel out to 5.0" BS'ing
and even then... You might rub the body mount slightly at full lock and compression.

The 255 will make it cheaper and easier for the operator in the long run
with less of a likelyhood of contacting the cab's body mount ;)

'course... one could always cut and re-box the body mount...
and then fit 35's :p

#4 ·
285 is shorter by not much, maybe a half an inch or less, more like a true 33" and wider by about an inch. 255's are lighter, have less road resistance due to a narrower contact patch, fit perfect on a 7" wheel, and some argue hook up better on rocks and ice. 285's are better in sand and mud due to more float from the width. I go 285 maxxis bighorns on 16x8's, like them a lot, hook up well on rocks, and am pretty impressed by their snow performance, and looks like i'll get 45,000 plus miles out of them

#9 ·
I threw a set of 255/85 Maxxis Bighorns on my 02 this past summer, stepping up from 265/75 KM2's. Have had it out in the snow once, and although not terribly deep (2ft tops) they did fantastic.

This has been the best modification to the truck that I have ever done. I dont know if it is just me but it feels like the truck was designed to run these. Everything just feels better.

#12 ·
For getting into muddy or sandy areas where a wide contact patch is needed the 285s are the way to go. 255 would give you better gas milage if that is any concern. Also a 285 depending on what backspacing your rim is could require a bit of massaging in the wheel wells to get them to stuff at still be able to turn :saw:

Here's what I had to trim out of my pinch weld and cab mount to get my 285s to fit

When I first put them on

after a little :saw:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.