TTORA Forum banner

Engine a bit rough, compression good?

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Teryx 
#1 ·
I have a 4 banger SR5 Ext Cab. 180,000. It looks like they did not keep up with fluids etc. just when things broke or whatever.

Engine runs a bit rough, and there is no distributer cap! That was a surprise. So what will my Toyota teck be looking for? What should I ask him to look for.

Im getting all the fluids changed, gearbox,diff, oil. Probably plugs also.

Compression came back: 150, 145 x3
Sound about right for 180,000 miles? I don't know

Looking back that sounds a bit suspicious, so I will be getting at least one cylinder rechecked to see if it matches. Grrr, these things go so damn quick but owner was willing to bring it to 'her guys'- for a check. Well see next week..:lmao:.:(

#2 ·
Start with the basic tune-up and do a 60k service

Plugs
PCV Valve
Air Filter
Clean MAF sensor
Clean Throttle Body / intake
De-carbon engine (might lower your compression)
Replace fuel filter
Change/flush all fluids

Check the front O2 sensor function (with real-time OBDII scanner) to see if its working right. Replace if it is giving lazy readings or is suspect. Use the same scanner to check the TPS and MAF operations and replace as needed.

#4 ·
Honestly, I would do the work myself. You'll get a better result and learn about your truck. Undoubtedly the list that Showstop posted needs to be done. I'll bet that engine is a sludge monster. I would buy a bunch of cheap oil and Seafoam the oil. Dump it when it turns black (which will happen real quick), change the filter and repeat. It will take several dumps to clean the mess out. Once you get all the problem areas cleaned it will run 100% better

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.