TTORA Forum banner

Steering wheel play

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Dusty T. 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, im pretty new to toyotas and im not the better mech in the world.

So i have this 98 limited 4runner in outstanding shape, no problems...well just one. The steering wheel seems to have some play in it, its worse when offroad or dirt roads.

Ive had it checked out and also had the steering rack and pin replaced, the rotors are good and new breaks too. Its not a lot of play but its just enought to bother me. So far all of the mechs tell me nothing wrong with it.

I'm I just used to my old ford ranger, it had a very stiff steering wheel. The 4runner just seems so lose.

Thanks

#4 ·
while not that uncommon to have some play in the steering shaft...
and might be thought of... as annoying.

I doubt that would really 'cause very much actual play or slop in the steering system.
Tho' it could compound with other play... if additional components were worn out.

I think it would be more in the interest's of the OP...
to check the steering rack's mount bushings for play or being worn out.

When those become worn out...
they will cause excessive slop in steering control more so then
the steering wheel shaft...
^ which usually is an agitating chatter/slight left to right play... to the steering wheel.

Correction for worn out steering rack mount bushings...
can be made by upgrading the mount bushing(s) to
the likes of the poly type.. Energy Suspension sells

Two other things to consider... before the steering shaft play is considered culprit.

Are the inner tie-rods to the rack n pinion without end play ?

Is the S. rack guide worn and allowing the internal rack to move around
causing the inner tie-rods to shift up and down at their insert points
of the rack ends ?

So minimally there are four different things to consider
when it comes to looking for free play or slop in the steering system...

1. Steering rack mount bushing wear

2. Worn inner tie-rod ends

3. A worn rack guide... internal of the rack n pinion

4. and in last place... free play/chatter in the steering wheel shaft

* obviously other worn out suspension components could exaggerate the situation.

#7 ·
It's funny, there's been a creaking noise coming from the steering column for the past few months. Grabbed the steering shaft, turned the wheel and noticed both the creaking noise and some play. Ahh, looks like one more thing to do this summer :rolleyes:

There is some play in the steering as well. Replaced the rack bushings, but it looks like it's the inner tie rods. Hopefully not the steering rack......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.