TTORA Forum banner

245/75/16 BFG ATs on a 2.7...anything wrong here...?

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Land Pirates Off Road 
#1 ·
So I searched the forum for hours and couldn't find the right answer to soothe my paranoia.

I'm running a 2010 reg cab 4x4 2.7L stock with stock gearing, and I just switched out the stock 245/75/16 Dunlops with 245/75/16 BFG ATs, and while I knew I would take a little performance hit with they heavy LT tires, it's been enough to be a shock to me, because I thought the smaller tire size would mitigate any performance issues. The BFGs are still E-Load at this size, and ride great, but I feel (and hear) the truck straining a little more to drive around. I guess here's what I'm paranoid about:

1. Will straining my truck with more unsprung mass at the wheels grenade my stock trans/gears, or driveline in general? I can definitely hear something straining in the driveline when accelerating...
2. Is regearing an option at this point with these size tires to gain back power?
3. Do I need to beef up my steering/IFS in any way with heavier front tires so don't snap something on a trail?

This is my DD, and I don't really do any rock crawling, instead I'm more of an overlander/camper and i use my truck to get to remote places to fish/camp/dirtbike once or twice a month. I often find myself driving over pretty nasty terrain which is why I wanted the BFGs in the first place, for that tough-tire peace of mind. Im just afraid I opened a can of worms...

I drive 80% highway, 20% off road. Thanks for helping this noob. :(

See less See more
#2 ·
same tire size (stock 31x9.50) so all you are talking about is a slight weight difference. don't worry about it.

#3 ·
Nothing wrong here, just a little extra weight. You really don't need to worry about it. Plenty of people out there running much bigger tires then you on the same truck with out issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.