TTORA Forum banner

ADD to manual question.

3K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  hytenor 
#1 ·
So, I read a thread last night, but can't for the life of me find it again. There was a section on there were someone said something about changing the tube out on a ADD using a manual tube, and that would make the diff manual. All that needs to be done is remove 4 bolts, and bolt the other tube in. Anyone have any experience with this??

My project is a '99 4Runner Limited, 3.4. He thing that's annoying is it has a center locking diff with J-shift case, but I want to get away from it. Te center locking diff actuator is bad, and I really don't want it going bad while I'm out on a trail. Found a guy in Atlanta that has a manual t-case, hubs, and diff that I'm buying next weekend, but I just bought the lockers and gears that se_lover was selling(front ADD 4.88 and rear 4.88 with ARB lockers and all accessories).

Just wondering if I could get away with switching the tube, or if I should buy the manual diff as well from the guy in Atlanta, and swap the gears and lockers into that one.

#3 ·
You can indeed simply bolt on the non-ADD output shaft to convert the diff to manual BUT You can also convert the ADD diff to a fully locked manual diff without switching the tubes. :cool: I actually this to my ADD diff 2 nights ago in preperation for my 4x4 swap with manual hubs since I have not been able to find anyone willing to sell me just the output tube off a non-ADD diff. :(

But here's what I did: It was very easy to do, just take off the 4 bolts attaching the actuator, stick a hose clamp or something similar in there to hold the shifting fork in the locked position (all the way to the diff side), and put the actuator back on (re-sealed) making sure that the fork prongs are holding the sleeve in the locked position. Here is a very helpful article for doing this: http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/add/

And here is mine just before I resealed and bolted it back on:

#7 ·
You can indeed simply bolt on the non-ADD output shaft to convert the diff to manual BUT You can also convert the ADD diff to a fully locked manual diff without switching the tubes. :cool: I actually this to my ADD diff 2 nights ago in preperation for my 4x4 swap with manual hubs since I have not been able to find anyone willing to sell me just the output tube off a non-ADD diff. :(

But here's what I did: It was very easy to do, just take off the 4 bolts attaching the actuator, stick a hose clamp or something similar in there to hold the shifting fork in the locked position (all the way to the diff side), and put the actuator back on (re-sealed) making sure that the fork prongs are holding the sleeve in the locked position. Here is a very helpful article for doing this: http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/add/

And here is mine just before I resealed and bolted it back on:
Is this mod required to do an ADD to manual hub swap?

#10 ·
no...no current manual hub and axle setup available for the '05+ Tacoma...or any other model with the 8" front clam-shell diff.
There is an outfit in Australia that was looking into it but nothing ever happened. (search: '05+, manual hubs)

#8 ·
I'm bookmarking this thread!! Thanks guys. Great & easy mod.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.