TTORA Forum banner

Thorough Coolant System Flush - 04 Tacoma

8K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  OutDoorED 
#1 ·
Did a bit of research, didn't see much about using the inline hose T fittings for flushing the system out. First Toyota and wanted to make sure this looks right/wont screw anything up on my Tacoma. - Previous owner never flushed or changed out coolant. 04 Taco.

Here was my plan:

1. Run BG Cooling System Cleaner for 30 min prior to flush.
2. Let engine cool down.
3. Drain Radiator & Engine Block
4. Remove Thermostat, put in old thermostat with core cut out.
5. Disconnect the inline heater control valve on the firewall, hook up both ends to an in-inline T garden hose fitting, let the garden hose run for a few minutes flushing everything out.
6. Remove inline hose fitting, hook heater control valve back up, and fill will 50/50 Red fluid + distilled.
7. Run for 10 or so minutes, heater full blast.
8. Drain Radiator & Block.
9. Put normal thermostat back in
10. Fill & burp.

See less See more
#2 ·
A couple comments on yours and then a link to a flush procedure that works for me.

I'd do one flush with distilled between after step 5.

Step 6 seems misplaced. Why fill with coolant, and then drain in step 8 to put the thermostat in?

Always fill the empty block through the upper radiator hose....you don't want to start the engine with a dry block as it causes rapid localized hot spots that can damage the heads.

Post 15 here is my longer version:
http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=171677&highlight=radiator+flush

#5 ·
My thoughts on Step 6 were that the initial fill/drain would help to remove/dilute any residual tap water left in the system.

- I definitely like your method that you posted because no tap water enters the system but i'm thinking it may lacks the pressure to push any sediment out of the system. But than again no tap water enters the system. Big plus.

Thank you very much for the information about filling the block!!! Priceless information. Thank you again.

are you doing a standard drain and fill ?
or attempting a back flush ?

video clip: back flush

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVWznOl-WZw&feature=related

I don't see where there is need to disable the thermostat
TacoDell, thank you for the video on back-flushing. I wanted to do a back-flush to flush out any sediment that may be sitting in the coolant system and then do a drain and fill to get rid of any tap water that got left in the system.

I wasn't sure if instead of splicing into any lines, if disconnecting the heater valve and putting the inline hose adapter in its place would cause any problems other then the fact that I wouldn't have to turn the heater on, nor turn on the truck with the thermostat disabled to do a back-flush.

#3 ·
#4 ·
cascade granular dish soap is actually the best thing to flush a system with 1 or 2 cups.. just fyi.

#7 ·
Ya, the heater hoses will be connected to the T - garden hose fitting, instead of the heater control. That shouldn't cause any problems right? And I figure with the disabled thermostat, and the heater control valve out of the equation, I shouldn't have to turn the truck on. Will this be harmful to the water-pump in any way since I wont be turning on the truck?

Thanks for the help. Much appreciated!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.