TTORA Forum banner

timing chain guides or starter?

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  raevenzero 
#1 ·
Hey fellas,
I have a 1996 Tacoma 4x4 with the 2.7L 4 banger. I changed the starter about 3 years ago because it was doing the famous "click but not start" then start after a few attempts. About 2 years ago, I had to have the head gasket replaced. While the mechanic was in there, I asked if the timing chain needed to be replaced. He said he was fine. About 6 months after I started hearing a noise when starting the car. Kind of a rattle/clacking/tapping noise. But it's only while I'm trying to start the engine. Once the engine starts, it goes away. I thought it might be the starter since it only occurs when I start it. I'll be honest and say i've been lazy and have driven/started the truck like this for a while now. Lately, It's been having a little more trouble starting. I'll crank the engine and it will idle at a lower rpm than normal. Almost feel like it wants to shut off. I tend to have to let it warm up a little bit. I thought it might be because of the cold weather and a weak battery, but I got the battery checked out today and they said it was fine.

Anyhow. What do you think the noise is. Do you think it is the timing chain guides or starter? I'm hoping the starter, because I can fix that, but something tells me I'm not that lucky.

If it does happen to the timing chain guides, do you think I've done a lot of harm to my engine by not fixing it yet.

Any suggestions would be great.

See less See more
#2 ·
Wish I could get you an answer... mine are timing BELTS...
You sure it's not the lifters/cams... similar sounds happen if the oil is not picking up and pumping.
How long have YOU owned the 96?

#5 ·
Probably timing chain. You can pull the valve cover and check the guides. Probably tensioner not having enough oil pressure to keep the chain tight when it first starts and clears up once pressure comes up. This can also be caused by an oil filter with a bad check valve. I had mine start rattling after an oil change and changing the filter fixed it.

#7 ·
I don't have the 2.7, but usually it's just a matter of getting thing out of the way and removing a few nuts of bolts. If it's like the 22re, you should be able to see everything with a flashlight. reinstall the valve cover when finished and reconnect whatever you had to disconnect.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.