TTORA Forum banner

Offroad outfitting for 02 Taco TRD DC

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  cookiemonster 
#1 ·
Hey, guys. Been reading the forum... and posting a little.
My 02 Taco has 175k miles on it now, I've had it since it was new, it's been paid off since 04, it's been a good companion, and I want to spend the end of it's life as an offroader. We're in the first stages of planning a Rubicon trip for summer of 2013. I read that any decent 4x4 with 31s can make it through if you skip the good stuff and drag bottom. But I'd like to not skip the fun stuff. And if I can outfit it well enough between now & then... drive it like I stole it.

Anyway... first off lift kits. The 6 inch kits are a lot more $ than I'd like to spend on an old truck. The 3 inch lifts seems pretty standard without dropping everything like the diff, but guys out there are saying that only gets you to 33 inch tires... And they worry about stuff rubbing this or that. Well, I've got cutting wheels and a welder and sawzall... not too concerned about what it looks like or keeping it stock... So... Can I go bigger on a 3 inch lift by cutting stuff for clearance or taking off the flares???

Been making a to-do/shopping list and would appreciate your guys' suggestions on this list, and anything I may have forgotten.. Also, are there any problematic parts of this Taco that would be a good idea to replace just as insurance against breakdown? Anyway here's my thoughts so far...

Lift kit/tires: See above.
Shocks: Guess it depends on the lift, but I need to get as much range of motion out of this thing as I can.
Winch: yes, going to get one.
Rear Locker: got the stock one.
Front Lockers: From what I read, don't sound like it's worthwhile
Gear Ratio: I'd think in low range, I'd be okay as is, but open for suggestions
Wheelbase: I could potentially shorten the wheelbase a few inches if I go with a custom rear driveshaft.
Bed: Would consider buying or building a lightweight rack in its place.
Rocker Guards: Need em. Thinking about buying someone's used tubes and modifying and reinforcing them.
Skid Plates. I got the stock option one under the engine. Should I get any others like for under the transfer case?

Keep in mind, I'm going for functionality, not looks. Got no problems with used stuff. I don't mind some fab & paint, either. In fact, I'm really looking forward to it. Well have at it guys - look forward to hearing from others and their experiences with modifying the first gen tacos.!

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey, guys. Been reading the forum... and posting a little.
My 02 Taco has 175k miles on it now, I've had it since it was new, it's been paid off since 04, it's been a good companion, and I want to spend the end of it's life as an offroader. We're in the first stages of planning a Rubicon trip for summer of 2013. I read that any decent 4x4 with 31s can make it through if you skip the good stuff and drag bottom. But I'd like to not skip the fun stuff. And if I can outfit it well enough between now & then... drive it like I stole it.

Anyway... first off lift kits. The 6 inch kits are a lot more $ than I'd like to spend on an old truck. dont do any Drop Bracket lift if your taking it out the the rubicon The 3 inch lifts seems pretty standard without dropping everything like the diff, but guys out there are saying that only gets you to 33 inch tires... And they worry about stuff rubbing this or that. Well, I've got cutting wheels and a welder and sawzall... not too concerned about what it looks like or keeping it stock... So... Can I go bigger on a 3 inch lift by cutting stuff for clearance or taking off the flares???

Been making a to-do/shopping list and would appreciate your guys' suggestions on this list, and anything I may have forgotten.. Also, are there any problematic parts of this Taco that would be a good idea to replace just as insurance against breakdown? Anyway here's my thoughts so far...

Lift kit/tires: See above.
Go with adj coilovers so you can fine tune the lift and then go with a new leaf pack in the rear. to clear 33" or 35's you can always do a body lift that way you keep the vehicles Center of Gravity lower but still obtain max. clearance
Shocks: Guess it depends on the lift, but I need to get as much range of motion out of this thing as I can.
go with the 5125s or 5150s in the rear with the correct amount of travel
Winch: yes, going to get one.
Rear Locker: got the stock one.
the only one that would be worth your while would be an ARB air locker being that you dont have manual hubs
do you know what you have? everyone is going to suggest you regear to atleast 4.56 and most will recommend 4.88 and 5.29s
Wheelbase: I could potentially shorten the wheelbase a few inches if I go with a custom rear driveshaft.
wouldnt worry to much
build one :saw: and might want to bob the bed
Rocker Guards: Need em. Thinking about buying someone's used tubes and modifying and reinforcing them.
Skid Plates. I got the stock option one under the engine. Should I get any others like for under the transfer case?
if your really going to beat on it i would put bud-built skids under it

Keep in mind, I'm going for functionality, not looks. Got no problems with used stuff. keep your eyes on the classifieds for some good used itemsI don't mind some fab & paint, either. In fact, I'm really looking forward to it. Well have at it guys - look forward to hearing from others and their experiences with modifying the first gen tacos.!
good luck, the hardest part to figure out is going to be lift tire size and gears

#3 ·
first off lift kits. The 6 inch kits are a lot more $ than I'd like to spend on an old truck. The 3 inch lifts seems pretty standard without dropping everything like the diff, but guys out there are saying that only gets you to 33 inch tires... And they worry about stuff rubbing this or that. Well, I've got cutting wheels and a welder and sawzall... not too concerned about what it looks like or keeping it stock... So... Can I go bigger on a 3 inch lift by cutting stuff for clearance or taking off the flares???
First off - DO NOT d a DIFF Drop system (those 6" versions).
Waste of money (IMHO) and will not work as well as the ones I will mention below.

If you are cash conscience, then i would go with OME (Medium or Firm version - depending on what else you will add to your rig).
With 32 or 33 tires (All terrains or Mud terrains)... with no or little hammer banging to make it fit in the front wheel wells.
And you will not need to remove your flares.

OME are great suspension systems and will handle the Rubi and your daily driving.

The COs from ICON, Fox, etc are also great and can be rebuilt.. but cost lots more. And then you still would need leafs (Alcan, Deaver or Chevy).

Note both OME and the others do offer one stop shop for everything.
Check out Wheelers, All-Pro, etc.
And if you need more answers on suspension check out my link below.
http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94262

CVs, CV boots, belts, oil, fluids, gas, water, catch containers, metric tool kit and an air compressor.
That's about it... our Tacos are very tough and takes a great pounding.

They are great, but that is when you break the CVs more easily... that is why I have not gotten a front one yet.

If you go with 32" or 31" - you do not need to change your gears.... stock will work.
If you go with 33" (like I have) - recommend changing to 5.29.
As for the transmission....I would think the stock would work on the Rubi.
But if you need to go even lower, check out Inchworm or Marlin.
Both have bolt in systems that are proven performers.

If you want to shorten the wheelbase, I would sell the truck, get an extended cab and swap the cabs out for a DC version (it has been done).
For the bed are you saying you want to swap the bed out for a rack?
That would be cool or look at this....
http://www.4x4review.com/Features/NewProducts/AdventureTrailersBedModule/tabid/349/Default.aspx

Made by Adventure Trailers.
This way you can use and remove after you are done... or you can just get a trailer.

Rock guards - You can just make them... check out some of the GARAGE Section to see some that were purchased or built.

Skid Plates - yeah the factory will work, but I eventually bashed it enough and swapped it out for a BUD Built version.
They build both the skid plate and body plate version.
There is also a company that makes an aluminum version (sorry forgot the name).
I also believe BUD makes one too.... just ask him.

As for the Transfer Case - yes it would be a good idea to protect it.
I have a BUD Body Plate - but have not installed it, due to some interference with my CBI slider's mounts.

Well that is it, good luck on the build and trip - hope you post up the trip and the build.

#4 ·
One thing I forgot to mention....
If you plan to carry a lot of weight, meaning a modified rear bumper with tire carrier on it.
You will need to add reinforcement plates to the rear frame.
And make sure you have a leaf pack that is capable to handle everything you will carry.
I use to have a ALCAN-8.... now I have DEAVER-10s.
Check out my Garage to see why.

#6 ·
Wow, I wasn't around to log into the internet for a few days, but I see this is great stuff. Will have to sit down and read when I get home tonight!

Thanks for all the ideas.

For now, it's just a shopping list, but I'm going to start buying and/or building stuff little by little.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.