TTORA Forum banner

two 3rd member questions

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  hytenor 
#1 ·
On a tacoma:

1. do front ifs have paint on the pinion to verify gear ratio?

2. v6 (non-trd) front ifs and rear 3rd will bolt right up to a 4cyl?

#2 ·
On a Tacoma, it doesn't matter if you are 4cyl or V6, they used the same 3rd members. It was really only the gearing that differed.

I'm not aware of any paint marks to identify gear ratio.

Now, you haven't specified which year Tacoma. The front diffs are the same for 95-04. But 05+ goes to a larger 8" front diff.

So if you have a 95-04 Tacoma, just get a front diff from the same years and you are good. The rear just has to be either a non-TRD or TRD e-locker same as you have now. Then just match the gear ratio F/R.

#3 ·
thanks showstop.

so am i also correct in most automatics with 31's/265's had 4.56 ratio? according to my sticker i have 3.58's, B02A. the truck has 31's on it and it doesn't ride like it has 3.58's. it came from an old man that i knew and i'm pretty damn sure he didn't swap anything out. are there any instances of the sticker being incorrect?

#4 ·
The 4.56 gears were in some of the later model 4cyl autos. These were not very common, so you won't see too many out there. The stickers are accurate if the truck is still stock and never had a gear swap.

Do the wheel spin test to check your gear ratio. That's a quick and simple way to find out what you have without pulling the diff.

#6 ·
3.58s are the most common for the early reg cab 2.7 5sp. OE tires for them was a 225/75/15, not a 31...those had to have been added later either by the dealer or a previous owner.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.