TTORA Forum banner

truck springs questions

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  mustangstephen 
#1 ·
Ok i have a few questions on my truck.I am new to trucks in general.My question is what kind of work can I do to my springs cheaply Maybe by taking a set out of one stuffing in mine adding more leafs I really don't know.I have a 86 truck with 81 running gear My ass end is bulldogging I already have 3 1/2 blocks in the rear I really want to un bulldog it And lift the truck another couple inches.I have been told to weld a heavy wall tube across the front of my frame and put the spring bracket back on I really dont want too (seen it done not my cup of tea)and put larger blocks in rear.So Hopefully someone can tell me some back yard tricks lol
Thanks for any and all input

#4 ·
Ok that didnt answer nothing But if I want to just throw all kinds of money at it.All I want to know can I stack more leafs to raise the ass end up and or front will it ride like a brick??Can I take leaf springs Out of another truck Tacos,prerunners,S10,ranger etc etc.Btw my truck is solid axle Not ifs And Im not into rock crawling this is my d.d. that see some fun time in woods and mud

#5 ·
First off... DO NOT weld on a block... You will screw up your truck. There is a ratio to the front pivot and the upper pivot and the length of the shackle to the spring length.
To answer your question, it gets a bit complicated... First, get rid of the damn blocks...
Second, yes, you can add more leafs to the stack. Even original equipment leafs will work to a point. But unless they are arched more... you will not be gaining lift, only payload. (simple answer to spring weight)

There really is no "cheap" way of obtaining lift out of leaf springs unless you can re-arch them yourself. You can buy or find used add a leafs like out of Old Man Emu leaf packs that will work.

But at the end of the day, if you just keep adding straight leafs... that is all you get... if you want lift, you need to add arched spring leafs to the pack. Even if you keep the stock main leaf.

Hope that sort of helps.

:2cents:

#6 ·
Like Land Pirate stated, remove the blocks... they only make the truck look taller but have almost zero performance improvement value.
To re-arc a leaf, is hard, best to have a company do it.
In addition to OME, check out Marlin, Trail-Gear and All Pro, they sell suspension stuff for your pickup.

Or check out the want-adds there is always someone selling their stuff.
I would check ours and pirate4x4.com - - they are always chopping stuff off and changing their solid axle suspensions.

Good luck.

#7 ·
I'll be one of the few that say it but yes, adding junk yard leafs to get lift is possible. To many people on this forum have closed their minds to anything but high dollar aftermarket leafs. I took two leafs out of my 67 mustangs and added them to the leafs on my Taco. Didn't even have to change u bolts. Got at least 2" of lift. Had to get longer rear shocks because empty my factory bilstines (however you spell it) were maxed out. FYI I currenty drive the truck 50 miles one way to work each day and they ride great.

It's all guess work as to what actually works. (I'd love to see the first thread where someone put chevys under their Taco!) I think its a general rule of thumb, thin leafs flex more and squat under load. They will also ride softer. May have axle wrap depending on set up (my truck has minimal and I added thin .25" thick leafs). Thick will be stiff ride and resist axle wrap more but have less flex. IMO when assembling, stack leafs with progressively more arch that way when you compress them with the center bolt the pack will be solid and all leafs will be compressing together when installed. As for the alignment tabs, your on your own as to how to keep the leafs from fanning out.

And get rid of the blocks.

Hope that helps and answers your questions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.