TTORA Forum banner

Bad output shaft seal #3

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  SampleFool 
#1 ·
:mad: I have a 2005 2.7L manual 4x4 with all synthetic fluids in it since 30k in all differentials, t/c & tranny and the engine since 3k. At 32k the output shaft seal started leaking & I brought it to the stealership for warranty replacement. done.

Fastforward to 110k, leaking, pay $4 for the part & $160 in labor, done.

I'm at 116k and it's ****ing leaking again. WTF? I have all stock parts except the TSB springs/shocks. I BELIEVE the stealership said their work is warranted for 12k miles / 12 months and it's only been 10k (so it should be covered yet again and on their dime) but is THIS the sort of bullshit I'm going to deal with every 10,000 miles? Anyone else having this seal go out or as often? :confused:

#2 ·
Front or rear output shaft?

The fronts were notorious to leak on the 95-04 models. It looks like the 05+ models have a similar seal design on the front output and also used that same seal design on the rear output.

Did the dealer check the driveshaft to see if it was properly balanced and no u-joints were bad?

#3 · (Edited)
They replaced the "rear" seal 10,000 miles ago @ my last visit. Odd, considering they put it up on the rack & found what I was complaining about & told me exactly what they were going to replace, but then DIDN'T.

I didn't even have to say anything, the manager called & said he had them change the CORRECT one this time. No charge.

#4 ·
Glad you got it worked out

#6 ·
I have an 08 Tacoma w/ 69k miles, both of my front diff output seals went bad after a month of sitting. It maybe got driven twice during that time. They did not seem to be in bad shape when I pulled them both out. I figure they dried out, but if they fail again I will be learning more torwards the driveline. Then again I have not heard about many of our seals going out either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.