TTORA Forum banner

Do I need new calipers?

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  GREG 
#1 ·
I have a 2002 Tacoma with 109K miles on it. I felt my mileage was getting worse and worse, and I suspected that the wheels weren't spinning as freely as they should. I would coast down a steep hill, and the truck would slow when I expected it to speed up. So today, I lifted it up and checked all the wheels. The rear wheels, with drum brakes, spin fine. The drivers side catches a little at one part of the rotation, but overall, I'm not too concerned about them. The front is a different story...they don't spin freely at all. If I try to spin the tire as hard as I can, I'll get about 1.25 rotations out of the front passenger side, and less than that on the driver's side. I hear rubbing, which I think is the brake pads rubbing on the rotor. My theory is that the calipers aren't releasing the piston all the way and the pads are rubbing all the time. I've already had that issue once before (maybe 5 years ago) and I replaced the front passenger caliper already. I don't think I did the drivers side, but I honestly don't remember. Do you think it's the calipers? I guess the only other way to test it is to take the pads off and then try to spin the wheel. If it still binds up, then I know it's not the caliper. Any thoughts?

#2 ·
Common Issues:
Pad or lining (Cracked or distorted)
Piston (Stuck)
Piston (Frozen)
Anchor or return spring (Faulty)
Booster push rod (Out of adjustment)
Booster system (Vacuum leaks)
Master cylinder (Faulty)

Your pads always rub against you discs. There's just less friction when you let off the pedal. I'd take them apart and look at them. Make sure the pins that the pads slide on aren't corroded. Look at the discs for uneven wear. Then check the wear of the passenger side against that of the drivers.

#4 ·
Wish I was more help. I've never had problems with brakes, I just maintain mine well I guess. If you have a 4 piston caliper and 1 piston is stuck you'll see it reflected on the pad. Also is one side (both pistons are stuck) that side will wear faster.

I've heard members complain about the pins getting corroded, which doesn't allow the pad to move freely. If you can't slide your pads, take the pins out and buy new ones they're chap. Just put some anti-seize on the new ones.

#5 ·
Looking at your sig and this may be completely irrelevant but it says it is 4x4, depending on where you lifted it at the cvs could be stretched to far down to allow it to spin freely, when I do front end work its not easy to spin the wheels freely for one cause I feel like I am going to tear the cvs up. Probably doesnt have anything to do with your situation but I thought I would throw it out there in case you didnt think of it, also check your ebrake on the back of each drum make sure it is releasing fully, the ebrakes on these trucks are shit and stick all the time

#7 ·
I'd be willing to bet this has everything to do with it. An ADD equipped truck's cv axles spin all the time. At full droop the front wheels do not freewheel very well due to the severe CV angle. A bit of pad scrubbing is normal and may not be the issue.

#6 ·
Yep, also sounds like one of your rear drums maybe out of true... You can take a small pry bar to ease back the front pistons in your calipers to see if they are sticking too. Easy to do! They should all push back the same. Also, check your hoses! Hoses can develop bubbles even in the inside that will prevent fluid pressure from dropping. IF you can not move a piston easily back, crack a bleeder, if it then moves back you have something else wrong. :2cents:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.