TTORA Forum banner

Mind boggling squeak..

2K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  MarioMX17 
#1 ·
Ive had this squeak for a couple weeks now figured it was a u-joint.. I was wrong.. The noise happens as i start to roll from a stop. You can hear it going forward, but its is significantly louder going in reverse..The truck is a 2000 taco ext cab V6 150000 miles... I jacked up the rear end to check u joints and they were still tight, greased them, put it back on the ground pulled out of drive way and we're still squeking. I put it back on jack stands and fired it up, put in gear, and no squeak in either direction.. With the clutch fully out the tires spining if i touch the brake pedal the squeak comes back, just like if the truck was on the ground rolling from a stop. It sounds like it coming from the rear diff right where the ds conects. Now if thats not wierd to you maybe this part will be. As the truck is in gear the drivers side tire spins pretty high rate the passengers side less than 1/4 the rates of other side.. When i hit the brakes passenger side locks up almost imediatly and drivers side doesnt stop unless its to the floor almost.

On the ground the noise doesnt happen due to brakes, it only seems to deal with the load on the rear end. In the air the noise doesnt happen unless i hit the brakes....

Thanks,
Micahel...

See less See more
#2 ·
If one of your brakes in the rear is tighter than the other that would explain why one wheel is traveling faster than another. More realistically one set of shoes is good and the other is loose and completely out of spec. That's pretty much the purpose of the open diff, to allow one wheel to travel faster than the other if needed.

Umm Definitely give your leaf spring shackle bushings a look.

#3 ·
That the boggling part of this. I laid up under the ruck while another buddy hit the brakes.. The squeak is centered on the axle.. Plus the squeak is unrelated to the brakes when the truck is on the ground.. The open diff with no load on either tire, as they were both in the air, shouldnt they be in
in-sink with each other?? Maybe im missing something here..

#4 ·
They should be in sync, but I'm thinking if one side has proper friction with the brake shoes and other side has no friction then the wheels might spin at different rates. Not different rates if you have the truck in gear with a foot on the gas, but if you're watching the wheels slow down after the foot is off the pedal one side would stop quicker than the other. As both wheels slow down one would be spinning faster. Jack the truck up and spin both wheels with your hand and see if one wheel seems to have more friction that the other. This might solve your wheel spin issue.

Can't really help with the squeak if it's not the rear u-joint and you're hearing it in the center of the 3rd member. I know there's a front bearing that sits in-between the rear companion shaft and the differential carrier and a rear bearing that's on the drive pinion. Could be either one of those.

I'm sure someone else will be of more help

#5 ·
Ok well looks like i found one poblem. I didnt mention it in the first post since it was kinda long but i did the spin test and the passenger side does lag. The drivers side will make 2-4 rotations before the passenger side starts to spin and its at a slower rate. The weird thing i how all this plays into the squeak im getting.. I didnt know of any bearings in there, mainly im tying to see if this is something i can fix or if i need to take it to a mechanic.. With out pullin gears, which i dont know if im qualified to do, i dont know how to diagnos the problem..

#6 ·
Here's your axle:

According to the FSM, if your rear end is making noise it can be:
Low oil in the rear diff
Excessive backlash between pinion and ring gear
Ring, pinion or side gear (Worn or chipped)
Pinion shaft bearing (Worn)
Axle shaft bearing (Worn) 6. Differential bearing (Loosen or worn)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.