TTORA Forum banner

Scratches

3K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  steve604 
#1 ·
When I bought my '04 Tacoma used, it didn't appear to have many scratches, but I'm noticing more and more. Is it possible that the dealership put some kind of wax on it or something else to hide the scratches? If so, I want some of that wax or whatever, too. I don't mind that there are scratches, but I want my truck to look nice, too. It's either that or I'm getting more scratches from a-holes around here. Most of the scratches are very minor, but I did notice a bigger one recently which may have been fresh. Any suggestions?

#3 ·
There are three basic steps-

Rubbing compound
Polishing compound (aka hand glaze)
Wax

Having a high speed buffer really makes a difference, but if you don't know how to use it, you can easily damage the clear coat or paint.

The polishing compound is what really takes out the imperfections in the clear coat and gives it that slick wet look. Once the deep scratches are smoothed with the rubbing compound, the polish will bring back the shine and the wax will protect it.

The dealers usually do a quick detail of the vehicles which often just includes polishing and waxing the vehicle, sometimes only wax. This doesn't last long and needs to be maintained. You can bring back the same look with a bit of effort.

#4 ·
The dealer more than likely detailed the truck first. If you don't want to use a buffer, they also sell dual action buffers that work wonders. Porter cable sells one. It's basically a finished sander. It orbits while it spins. It's a trade off... you're less likely to screw up your paint, but it won't get the really bad scratches out either.

#7 ·
I agree. If you wheel it, thats what will happen. Heck, drive the roads here and the bushes will scratch your truck 'cause the county is lazy and doesn't trim. I'd just wax it. Rust is the only concern for me.

#9 ·
Got my first scratch two weekends ago playin in the woods. Seen it the next day while I was washin it. I cried a little then broke out the machine glaze and wax. All better(very minor skuff) lol
Fwiw high quality products will yield higher results, the stuff at wally world ain't worth the extra elbow grease u need to get it to do what it's intended to do.
There's also alot of videos on YouTube bout this stuff.

#10 ·
stop washing your truck.... that's what i did.

out of sight, out of mind.

#12 ·
wow. u really goin to admit that on a internet forum? jk lol

#14 ·
What's so wrong with wanting to keep your rig nice? Mines been on plenty of trails, but I still keep up with the paint. I didn't buy and build up a rig to let it look like shit...

Check out Zaino. It's hands down the best stuff out there.

#16 ·
when i detailed cars that were worth a damn i used nattys paste wax. that was the shit and smelled like bubble gum so even better. i used to order all my supplies fromautogeek. i used a da porter cable buffer with awesome results. where the paint wasnt royally fucked on my tacoma(when it was still black) i did a 6 step polish and wax and the 15 year old paint looked brand new.

http://www.autogeek.net/poorboysworld.html?gclid=COvD9bKNmq8CFQUZQgodxENvcQ

#17 ·
If you keep rubbing out the scratches...

...you'll likely wear thru the clear coat.

and then... you will be shipped off to some third world country...

and there... you will meet some native tribesman...

and they... will likely behead you...

and then... you will have become breakfast...

...Don't become breakfast :p

#18 ·
i see what you did there:D

#22 ·
Hey everyone,

Thanks so much for your responses. You've given me a lot to think about and to research. Thankfully the scratches, except for one, aren't too bad. This one scratch was a new one, so that's what irked me, and I didn't get it from going on back country roads, trails, etc. If that had been the case, I'd accept it. No instead it probably came from someone careless or else some of these kids around here. Who knows?

The scratches are really minor mostly, and I think that the person who owned before basically took it on country roads. I know my truck's going to get scratched once I start taking it off-road or in the country more, which is why I am asking about this ahead of time, if you know what I mean.

Thanks again!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.