TTORA Forum banner

Cheap winch alternative?

12K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  TacoDell 
#1 ·
So I was browsing through a harbor freight add and I saw these. Considering that I'm not ready to spend a couple hundred on an actual winch. What do you guys think? I'm not talking about frame deep in mud stuck but just an inconvenient "prerunner" stuck.

See less See more
#2 ·
My 4-tonne cost me $100, looks way beefier than that, and I'm still super nervous standing beside it cranking the cable tight trying to pull my truck with it. All I can imagine is the cable snapping and coming straight at my face. It's way way last resort and I can't wait to get my winch on so I don't have to use my hand puller anymore.

All I can see this one being useful for is something like pulling a trailer up a gentle slope, you know something with very little resistance...

You get what you pay for [/.02]

#3 ·
Ya I wouldn't be getting this one. I've found one for 5 tons. And when me and my buddy use his winch we throw a sweatshirt over it so if it brakes it takes all the tension away. so it actually works for you when you really need it?

#4 ·
Meh I'm not a big fan of come alongs, you'll use it once and after that first time you'll be going to purchase an electric winch, they are painfully slow to operate and can be really hard to actuate if you're really stuck/wedged.

#6 ·
they're great fo' stringing fence wire/chainlink
^ back when I actually used one

can't says I ever broke one... tho' wore out a few

If yer gonna use it to pull on heavy chit like a stuck truck...
I'd think to add a snatch block in support :2cents:

IMHO... it's just always better to wheel with a 2ndary rig
and then... all you'll ever likely need is a strap ;)

Tho' I'll admit...
they're better then standing around with yer thumb up yer ass :p

#8 ·
I like to use a Hi-Lift type jack and some chains and/or towstraps. Sure it takes a long time, but they are cheap, last a lot longer than el cheapo come-along and all the individual components have practical uses on their own. Plus, while you're pulling your truck out in two foot increments you have time to really evaluate the physics of the extraction and how you got stuck in the first place.

#9 ·
The only come-a-longs I've owned that were worth a shit were these:

http://www.wyeth-scott.com/

I've had mine for 30 years, and it has seen a lot of hard use. These things have one huge disadvantage compared to a real winch. You can't steer and or drive while you winch. They are very useful for stabilizing a vehicle while you winch if you are off camber.

#16 ·
The only come-a-longs I've owned that were worth a shit were these:

http://www.wyeth-scott.com/
This is the most legit come-a-long I've seen. If I was going to buy a come-a-long to help get me unstuck and possibly save my ass, it would be that one.

#11 ·
for that price you have no reason not to buy one. i wouldn't call it a winch alternative, it's something to add to your recovery equipment kit.

i've seen a guy use one along with his winch cable and a snatch block to pull himself forward and sideways in a greasy situation.

a winch is a winch, there is no replacement.

#14 ·
I'd rather use a stout come - a - long...
over using my High Lift for winching/pulling purposes

the later could be more risky IMHO
if that don't scare ya...
then for sure it will take more effort
to lug the HL into duty.

I'd have to put that on muh list as a last ditch resort...
if the winch failed and the come - a - long broke

#15 ·
I agree. What a pain in the ass to move 3 feet! Since you are not spooling up cable as you go, you'll need a way to take up the slack and reset the jack too. Think through it! You can dig yourself out of a snow bank with a teaspoon. It's a good trick to know, but I sure wouldn't head out with that plan in mind. :rolleyes:

#17 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.