TTORA Forum banner

05 Sequoia - 4WD Actuator - HELP NEEDED

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Land Pirates Off Road 
#1 ·
In need of some HELP..... My 2005 Sequoia was having the symptoms many have reported with trouble going into 4WD LOW. 4WD HIGH shift was working fine but the shift to 4WD LOW would never complete. The 4WD LOW light continues to flash and there was a beeping from the 4WD Actuator mechanism located on the transfer case. I tried all several times and many tactics to jar the shift mechanism free in order to allow the shift to 4WD LOW to complete. With no success I dug deeper.

Thinking that the issue must be something in the Actuator mechanism, I proceeded to take the cover off and investigate. Without having my good analysis and debugger hat on I proceeded to disassemble some of the components inside the actuator. I was able to move the rack shaft back and forth shifting the tranfercase manually from 2wd to 4wd HIGH and 4wd LOW. The mistake I made was not noting the alignment of the gears that I removed from the actuator case. I know….. DUMB >>> DUMB >>>> DUMB…… but it is all water of the dam now .
Anyhow, fast forward to today…. I have since determined that the root cause for my original problem was most likely the cracked vacuum hose on the top of the actuator. Now…. If I could only get the correct alignment/orientation of the gear inside the actuator so it functioned properly.

Does anyone have insight to the correct setup of the internal components inside this switch ? The correct orientation... gear to gear and sensors is critical to proper operation.

Thanks for any help... including pictures of a unit that has not been dissassembled.

From what I understand this unit is not even able to be repaired by the dealers.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hummmm we messed with one. Hard to explain... There is a max in and a max out.... shaft needs to be in positioned so you are either full in or out where the detente for the shift fork rides.
From there, you have the actuator off... turn on truck and switch it to the position you have it set at the t-case.
Turn everything off, assemble. Double check it is all working.

We have done this to 3 Tacomas and 2 4-Runner T-cases.... Sometimes minor adjustments are needed. But it is really that easy.

Hope that makes sense.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.