TTORA Forum banner

Detroit EZ locker ???'s

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  ShowStop 
#1 ·
Howdy.

I put in a Detroit locker in my 91 pickup this last weekend and think I may have some issues. While driving down the road it seems to be pulling to the left and right at times for just a second. I can hear the locker click when it does this. I'm new to lockers, and understand that Detroits are locked in all the time, I'm guessing this slight pulling has to do with that.

The other and more worrisome issue for me occurs when I'm driving also. It feels like something seizes in the rear end, causing the truck to jump and a shockwave to go though the truck, driveline to pedal. The sound is a moderately loud 'clunk'. It seems to happen randomly, above twenty mph in decceleration and acceleration. Any input? Am I overthinking all this? Ive put 2 1/2 bottles of axle fluid in it so far, thinking I'll get underneath it today and try to get some more in it.

Thanks for reading!

#2 ·
I have Detroit Lockers in my 91 pickup also. It happens to me, but I not too concerned. How are the rear brakes, I never check mines yet. Rear suspension ok?

#3 ·
I run a full time locker, but not a Detroit. The driveline shock sounds like the locker unloading. This is a common thing with lockers.

The pulling to the left or right can happen as you switch from coast to drive. Mostly you'll feel it in a turn when you go from coast to drive or vice versa. If it happens when you are driving straight, you might have uneven tires.

#5 · (Edited)
Thanks guys. Showstop - I'm guessing that over time the driveline shock will have some negative effects (ujoints..), but am I in no real danger of anything major happening?

Also the tires are good and balanced, no extreme wear. I have factory drums and the truck stops it when I want to, and the suspension is tight and without troubles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.