TTORA Forum banner

Ideas to add a tire carrier on an existing TG bumper

3K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  ShowStop 
#1 ·
Id like to add a swing out tire carrier to my trail gear bumper and want to know if anyone has done/thought about doing this. The only problem i can see is that the only place to mount the spindle would set it right in front of the tail light restricting view.

Any thoughts on how to do this better?

Pictures would be most helpful.

See less See more
#3 ·
thanks for the help

#4 ·
why trail gear? because i have one, notice exhibit A "the picture of my truck with the trail gear bumper"

I wheel frequently and would like to have the tire out from under the truck so i can eventually add an extra fuel cell in its place.

Im looking for ideas on how to do this with the bumper i have.

#5 ·
I built one off a all pro tube rear bumper and it worked pretty good, need to beef up or triangulate the mounts a little and add frame plates cause its alot of weight hanging off the end of the frame and mine would shake the whole truck going down the freeway at 75mph.
ill see if i can find any pics of it

#6 ·
That looks good BOVADS. how much does the tire obstruct your view in the rear view? would you go left/right or center with the mounting point for the tire if you had to do it over?

#7 ·
its not too bad, but noticeable. i put it on drivers side for better visability, i can look out side window to see something that tire blocks view of. it worked well, i usually only used it on longer trips or when i had my shell on and i was gonna be sleeping in it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.