TTORA Forum banner

Gears

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  4banger4x4 
#1 ·
I know this has been beaten to death but i have never understood gears. Im debating between 4.56s and 4.88s but im more focus on the road manners due to the fact that i play in the mud more often than rock crawling. I currently have 3.58s and pushing 31 10.50s and i get 15-16 mpgs and i know if i go up to 4.10s ill get 17-18 but if i go higher than 4.10s and go to 33 12.50s will the mileage go back down? also what is going to have more highway power? if im cruising at 70 and floor it in 5th gear what one will get me going faster? also when im in 4L the 4.88 is going to give me the lowest gear possible, correct?

also what the best brand? cause im going to be getting them done at a local shop that requires me the provide the gears

#2 ·
If you are going to 33x12.50s and have a manual transmission, go 4.88s I am running that exact setup and love it. The 4.10s with the 33s wont do anything for you. I believe you are correct with the 4 lo question my truck crawls very nicely in 4 lo, I mainly use 4 lo when pulling the boat out the garage and up the ramp at the lake. So 4.88s hands down if going to 33s,

#4 ·
you got the 2.7?
whats the power like?
whats your mpgs?
ALso after reading your sig I am actually getting ready to run your exact suspension setup, I just ordered some saw 2.0s tonite and will be running the all pro 3 inch in the rear how do you like it
i love it but i got an xcab with no weight up front and 650# coils and its pretty stiff. i only went with them cause i bought the saws used off of here. but i love how the allpro leafs handle.
there is an entire thread on the leaf install in the suspension section if you have any questions about it.

#3 ·
ALso after reading your sig I am actually getting ready to run your exact suspension setup, I just ordered some saw 2.0s tonite and will be running the all pro 3 inch in the rear how do you like it

#5 ·
Yea I have the 2.7 standard cab, the power is way better with the 4.88s than the 3.58s I had to down shift to 4th on the highway going up any hill, now I can maintain 5th and just lose a little speed until I hit the top. As far as mpg I honestly couldnt tell ya cause I dont know how to factor in the tires, but I can tell ya that on my spedometer I get around 310 to 330 miles, it varies but like I said that doesnt take into account the 33x12.50s on 15 aluminum wheels.

Damn I didnt even think about the 650 pound coil spring when I bought it hopefully I like them sombitches were expensive ha

#6 ·
Yeah 650 is a beefy coil. I like the road feel but anything other than high speed bumps is ruff. Coils are $150 though so not a huge dent to the wallet if you don't like'em

Tapatalk

#7 ·
Have you played around with http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html? It will answer some of your questions.

If you dont change tire size, get 4.10s or even a little lower (4.30). If you get 33s, it would be nice with 4.56s or 4.88s... It all comes down to personal preference.

And remember there are other factors that will play a roll in mpg as your truck gets bigger. Keyword here is "resistance", which takes many forms. :D

#8 ·
Have you played around with http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html? It will answer some of your questions.

If you dont change tire size, get 4.10s or even a little lower (4.30). If you get 33s, it would be nice with 4.56s or 4.88s... It all comes down to personal preference.

And remember there are other factors that will play a roll in mpg as your truck gets bigger. Keyword here is "resistance", which takes many forms. :D
No I haven't played with that one yet, but I took a look at my bank account and up coming expenses and I don't think I'm going to be able to swing 2-3k in wheels tires and gears anytime soon

Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.