TTORA Forum banner

wierd drone and chirping

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  jbstrd 
#1 ·
everytime i take off in 1st and give the pedal some force i hear a chirping coming from the rear end untill i get up to about 2.5k on the rpm's, also shift into second and it will start doing the same thing. its only sometimes and it doesnt feel like gears are binding or anything. and about 65-70 mph down the highway i start to hear a slight drone from back there. could it be my rear diff? carrier bearing? wheel bearing? not too much experience on rear ends and such but i know forsure its not my u-joints as ive replaced many of those in my yotas. 03 tacoma 4wd no diff locker, 90k on the clock running 33's with stock gears. :confused:

#2 ·
Sounds like a carrier bearing to me. (Though you have to understand that there is lots of room for error when keyboard mechanicing)

This doesn't prove anything for sure either way, but when I suspect a carrier bearing is shot, I soak it with some spray lube. Usually the noise stops and I know it is time to order one.

#4 ·
I was hearing a similar noise. I jacked the rear wheels up, put the axle on jack stands, turned the truck on (in 2WD of course) and let it idle. When I got underneath, it was very obvious that the noise was coming from the carrier bearing. This is probably your issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.