TTORA Forum banner

Cat Converter Questions

3K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  RickerRicker19 
#1 ·
On a stock converter, to check if it is bad once removed, is the light test the method of choice? If so, how much light should you be able to see through it?

I have been fighting the PO420 on my 1996 2.7L for some time. I replaced the factory cat with a Magna Flow, replaced both sensors with Denso, put Denso plugs in it, cleaned the MAS, and again have the PO420. I can not find any exhaust leaks. I took it to the Toyota Dealership and told them to look for anything which might be causing the code or messing up the cat to get the code. I have no way of knowing exactly how hard they looked, but the said they thought it was the aftermarket cat.

I having been looking at the original cat, approximately 160K, and I can see a flashlight through it, but it is faint. I blew air through it with the compressor and it flows, but not at nearly the volume as just blowing it the same distance without going through the cat.

I may have to purchase a factory cat at the high price, but don't want to do it and find out I did not need it and it is something else. I had the Magna Flow on about 5K before the code came back.

Any help or ideas is appreciated.

See less See more
#4 ·
Nice, I've seen people do that and then on top of a $1200 cat they need about $150 to get their exhaust back to factory condition, not to mention whatever the aftermarket cat cost to purchase and install.

Its a toss up of what aftermarket cats will satisfy the computer, I'd always buy factory cats to avoid this issue.

#5 ·
Goto URD's website and buy an O2 simulator. It will tell the computer on your truck that everything is good. Costs about 120 bucks. And will raise your MPG.

#6 ·
Personally I have a magnaflow "high" flow cat and I've never seen a code with it. I was starting to see the code on my 4runner and then when I replaced the cat it simply went away. During the install of the exhaust system though I did clean all the O2 sensors really well but that's all I did.

#11 ·
On my 02 the conector for the 02 simulator is located under the seat so the black box goes under the seat

#13 ·
My simulator just had a plug on that end and plugged in on top of the transmission if I remember right. Mine was on a 98' 3.4.

#14 ·
Yeah, mine plugs in there, but wondering what to do or where to put the simulator box so I don't catch it on something and rip it and all the wires on the sensor out. I don't find a real good place to put one. I have not bought one yet, but am thinking about it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.