TTORA Forum banner

Help!: smoked a belt; is this the A/C compressor?

8K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  NorcalPR 
#1 ·
First, some pertinent details: truck is a 2000 Tacoma, 2.7L, 4wd. Engine is pretty much all stock. 153,000 miles on truck and engine, never had any problems with it. Also, I had all my belts replaced last September because the original ones were finally looking a little cracked and frayed.

I was driving up a pass a couple nights ago in a snowstorm. In fourth gear, 60 mph or so, and I was fully loaded down (moving a truck-load of stuff from western to eastern MT). Suddenly I heard a loud screeching noise from the engine compartment followed closely by the smell of burning rubber.

The engine never skipped a beat, but I pulled over after about 30 seconds and took a look around in the engine compartment with my headlamp. Remains of a belt were found still smoking. It was a belt that was attached to a pump-looking thing (see picture below; now you know why I put this in the Newbie Tech section...) that I immediately assumed was a water pump that had seized up, because of the context of the situation.

I figured I'd have to limp the rest of the 150 or so miles a few miles at a time, letting it cool down every so often. But to my surprise, the temperature sender never showed a temp above 186 degrees--which is normal in my experience. So I drove normally the rest of the way.

Now that I've poked around a bit online and looked at some diagrams of water pumps, I'm thinking my initial diagnosis was incorrect. It's looking more like an A/C compressor. But why would this fail when I wasn't even using it? Was it just a bad (or incorrectly tightened) belt that happened to fail just then? If it is the A/C compressor, is this a good indication that I'll need a new one?

Take a look and let me know what you think. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
The AC compressor runs when you have the heater in the defrost position.

You can check the compressor for seizure pretty easily. When it's sitting there with no belt on it, the pulley will freewheel. You should be able to flip that pulley with your hand and watch it coast. If you look at it while it's spinning, you will notice some stuff out on the end that stays stationary.

That part is a clutch, and it's attached to the compressor.

If you grab that part with your hand, you can attempt to rotate it.

It should turn, but not freewheel like the pulley does. There should be some resistance, but the compressor should be turnable with one hand.

If the compressor is seized, you will not be able to turn it at all.

If the compressor is damaged you might be able to turn it but it will feel gritty and notchy.

If it turns smoothly, but with a small amount of resistance, try putting a belt on it.

It's possible that your old belt was a made in mexico cheapie and it just decided to die. Maybe a new belt is all you need.

If the compressor is locked up, you are going to have to replace it.

That's going to be quite a bit more expensive than a belt.

#5 ·
Thanks for the help, guys. Got it narrowed down to a seized A/C compressor (damn!). One last question: does this mean my defroster will not work until I get this replaced? Reading Fast Frank's post, I assume it does, but then there are trucks out there without A/C that must have defrosters...?

#8 ·
FWIW, the ac compressor, drier, condensor, metering device (TXV on these systems IIRC), a complete system flush and a recharge will be needed. When the compressor fails, it sends metal through the entire system. The shop will have to flush everything out. Because you cannot flush out the coil, the condensiong coil will have to be replaced.

Will probably be a 700 dollar job easily.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.