TTORA Forum banner

Replacing front diff axle seal help

14K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  mustangstephen 
#1 ·
Truck: 2004 DC Tacoma 4x4

Pass side front diff axle seal part# 90311-47013

So I just cant seem to get this thing seated in there properly. I have read where a couple of guys would just barely get the seal seated in the housing and then pound their CV shaft back in there letting the CV seat it in the housing the proper depth. Does this really work? It would seem to me that the pressure from the CV pushing it in might damage the seal. Also over time the seal being right up next to the rotating CV might cause friction and damage the seal more rapidly.

It says in the FSM to seat the new seal in 5.5mm +- .3mm, is that from the inside diameter of the seal which is the softer rubber with the metal spring behind it, or the outside diameter of the seal that would be recessed in the housing?

#4 ·
Don't forget to add a little silcone to the outside edge!

#5 ·
I use the CV to seat mine and theyve always held up fine. but dont put them in then put in the CV. Put the seal ON the CV then just slide it in. otherwise, at least i might lol, you could hit the seal with the CV and cause damage that way.

#7 ·
You can use a big flat head screw driver to tap the seal into the diff(gently). Make sure the body of the seal, not the soft rubber part, is flush with the lip inside the diff tube.

#8 ·
Ok thanks for the help. Im going to do this tomorrow, I will take pictures and measurements with a caliper to document the repair for anyone who attempts this in the future.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.