TTORA Forum banner

Shudders/Shakes at Highway Speeds - Clutch Bad?

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  ShowStop 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

I did numerous searches and found others with similar problems, but nothing specifically on-point. I have a 97 Tacoma, 4WD 5VZ-FE with a manual trans and approximately 235k. I drove cross-country last week to Oregon and developed a very noticeable and annoying shudder/vibration between ~60 and 70 mph. The vibration goes away above ~ 72 mph or whenever I take my foot off the gas. The vibration occurs in either 4th or 5th gear, no difference. Also, It continues if I depress the clutch before fully removing my foot from the gas (even when I then remove my foot and leave it in neutral). There doesn't appear to be any substantial leak under the truck, so I don't think it's the rr main seal, although I'm not sure.

The truck is lifted approximately 4" and I have the carrier bearing spaced down a bit. I haven't noticed the clutch slipping, but it is original. Unfortunately I can't repair anything substantial myself right now since I'm on the road and will probably have to take it to a local shop.

#4 ·
ShowStop, you were 100% correct. I inspected the driveshaft and the rearmost U joint had a significant amount of play. Replaced it and the vibration is nearly 100% gone - residual vibration is probably attributable to play in my d/s tie rod end. Thanks for the tip.

Incidentally, I later found this thread, where the owner experienced a nearly identical issue:

http://ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=184807&highlight=replacing+driveshaft

I should have searched more thoroughly. :eek:

#3 ·
Update:

I unloaded the truck today following my move. I would estimate that it had ~700lbs in the bed (including the cap). With the weight removed, the vibration has greatly diminished. I lubed the joints on the driveshaft about a month ago - maybe not enough?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.