TTORA Forum banner

tacoma transfercase identification???

6K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  xtevan 
#1 ·
I am swapping out the transmission on my 96 Tacoma (320K miles) with a junkyard transmission. I rebuilt the engine last summer and would like to get a few more years out of it. If I were working I would have had Marlin rebuild the trans, but the funds just are not available yet.

I did not realize it would come with the transfer case. My truck has the ADD option but not the One Touch 2-4 selector. I would love to swap everything straight in and be done with things at this point. I pulled in after dark this evening and have not unloaded the 'new' trans/Tcase I picked up today to compare them.

Looking through the FSM I see the differences in the internal mechanisms, but I am not noticing any outside differences to tell them apart other than the One Touch 2-4 selector would have wires/switch on the shift knob. Is there an obvious difference between the ADD/non-ADD versions??

Other than losing activation of the hubs, are there any risks or reasons not to use a Non-ADD Tcase (until I can get the original rebuilt) that I might be missing?

Thanks.

Xtevan

See less See more
This post has been deleted
#2 ·
It pulls a signal from one of the position sensors that grounds out when you put it in 4.
So yes, Add does have something to do with the transfer case.
Op, just make sure all the position switches on the new case match the ones on your old case. They're the 4 switches that are mounted on the sides of the shift rails.

#6 ·
Transmision in, Clutch travel???

Got the trans and transfer case back in a week ago. Replaced all of the clutch hydraulics except the hard lines piece by piece, got the flex hose from the dealer yesterday and now I have firm clutch pedal. I have done a few clutch slaves on FJ40s and BMWs, don't remember any that were as hard to bleed out

Now I am not getting enough travel for the clutch to actually release. The slave appears to extended significantly more with this transmission in place, leaving no fork travel room. The clutch is a fairly new centerforce <5k miles on it.

At this point I am thinking bent fork or worn pivot. The pivot looked a little flat when I lubed it as swapped the throwout bearing. Anything I should try before pulling the trans again??

I can take a picture of the slave extension/fork when I get home

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.