TTORA Forum banner

oil change

3K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  RickerRicker19 
#1 ·
Wanted to know if i can use synthetic oil in my 00 tacoma. If so what kinda should i use . thanks

#3 ·
Yes. Everyone here has their own opinion on what oil is better. The fact is, as long as your changing your oil on a regular basis, your extending the life of your vehicle, regardless of the brand of you use.

Recently, I have been using Castrol Edge (synthetic) in my engine, basically everything else gets Redline (synthetic).

#4 ·
Yes. Everyone here has their own opinion on what oil is better. The fact is, as long as your changing your oil on a regular basis, your extending the life of your vehicle, regardless of the brand of you use.

Recently, I have been using Castrol Edge (synthetic) in my engine, basically everything else gets Redline (synthetic).

Agreed, I use Mobil 1 with some Lucas oil stabolizer in my engines. Keeps the engines purring and happy. With synthetic though I only change every 5-6k.

#7 ·
Last time I went to Costco, they had cases (6 quarts) of mobil 1 5w30 (only oil my truck gets) for $25 with the manufacturers rebate, almost cheaper than dino oil :eek: even without discount, still have it for around $35, best deal I've found

#9 ·
My motor gets (5.2 qts) Mobile1 5W30
Transfer case (1.1qts) , front diff (1.2qts) and rear diff (2.8qts) all get Amsoil GL-5 75w90
Transmission sticks with stock Toyota ATF (usually around 2.5qts with simple drain and top off)

You know what they say about opinions and assholes right?

#10 ·
Is there anything wrong with switchin to synthetic if you have 153000 on the clock....any added benefits. Im not sure what the guy put in it before me but ive used castrol gtx every 3000 since it had 86000. Ive always been told that at this stage switchin wouldnt do any good

#11 ·
If you do switch....you might want to change your oil twice in one sitting to make sure you don't have any of the old in with the new. I might be completely off base with that but that's what I'd say.

#12 ·
Switching wont do your engine much good at this point. Just changing out the dirty oil regularly with any oil is what prolongs the engine life. Its the particulates in the dirty oil that is the main source of ware. Its best to use synthetic in the earlier stages of the engines life. It helps in a couple ways:
thinner and easier on the engine. its made in the lab, so the properties of the oil are designed to work in the environment, doesnt break down like traditional oil, (Lasts longer) but a better filter is required to keep the oil clean as long as the oil lasts. (5-7k with the best filter) If you use joe shimo brand filters, they clog before the oil fails.

Ive also experienced when switching to synthetic after having regular oil i n an engines whole life; you get little leaks. my thought on that is that the regular oil thickens up and kinda seals any leaks, then comes the synthetic and it loosens/breaks it up stuff. just my :2cents:

FYI you can mix regular and synthetic oils together.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.