TTORA Forum banner

Getting new calipers on, what brake fluid?

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  firebox40dash5 
#1 ·
Simple newb question, but I have a 2003 3.4L 4x4. Just had the frame replaced including all new brake lines, but the dealer quoted a ton for the brake job so I'm having somebody else do it. I'm bringing the parts and fluid though, what kind do I need to get? Just any DOT3? Synthetic? Sorry just not sure what's in there and if it can mix with synth. If he's not doing a full flush might not need too much right?

#5 ·
Not sure for certain if I need new ones, but the old pads wore very unevenly. I don't know if it was an issue with just one of the pins getting hung up, or if one of the pistons was seized or something, but I'm replacing them. I got centric preloaded ones.

#7 ·
DOT 3 Verses DOT 4...

We never recommend DOT 3.... DOT 4 or better... They make a DOT 5, it is NOT compatible... But DOT 5.2 or better is...
It comes down to boiling point. DOT 4 has a higher temp than DOT 3.... DOT 3 is for the older systems like drum brakes.
Most factory vehicles are recommending DOT 4 now.

We personally run a 600 + degree brake fluid in ALL of our vehicles... ATVs, Bikes, Trucks, and race cars. We also change it out once a year...

#8 ·
We never recommend DOT 3.... DOT 4 or better... They make a DOT 5, it is NOT compatible... But DOT 5.2 or better is...
It comes down to boiling point. DOT 4 has a higher temp than DOT 3.... DOT 3 is for the older systems like drum brakes.
Most factory vehicles are recommending DOT 4 now.

We personally run a 600 + degree brake fluid in ALL of our vehicles... ATVs, Bikes, Trucks, and race cars. We also change it out once a year...
Thanks, for what I'm doing I think factory spec will do, just checked and it's DOT 3. Plus I don't want to mess with mixing with what's int here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.