TTORA Forum banner

marlin 1200lb clutch/heavy flywheel

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  FrankM23 
#1 ·
I know when moving up to bigger tires most people go for this option. My question is why. What benefit does having a heavier flywheel and/or the marlin clutch serve. Benefits of this setup? Drawbacks? Any input appreciated thanks.

#2 ·
Better engagement over the weaker stock pressure plate. So it grabs better. This will mean less hot spots or warping of the clutch disc in the long run. The fact that the pedal pressure is about the same means you also won't have a tired leg at the end of the day. So if you wheel or street the truck a lot and just want a better clutch, this is the option I would recommend.

The heavier flywheel makes it more difficult to stall at lower RPMs and gives you more torque. Both are good off road. Not so good if you do lots of stop and go traffic day in and day out or street race. The stock flywheel is roughly 26 lbs and most heavier flywheels are in the 30+ range. A nice boost, but unless you are serious about your performance, it provides a mostly unnoticeable return.

#4 ·
I have the Marlin 1200lb clutch. It was cheaper than OEM, good quality, higher capacity, and LIGHTER pedal pressure. It scared me at first, thinking no aftermarket clutch w/ more clamping power would have a lighter pedal, I was wrong.

I like it! It has a good combination of "grab" while still being able to slip when needed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.