TTORA Forum banner

Front bump stops

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  SurfingDrunk 
#1 ·
I was removing my front bump stops to replace them today, and after I loosened one with a pair of channel locks, I then was unscrewing by hand for a while, and it tightened up again, so I reached for the channel locks to continue unscrewing it, and it popped, and now it spins freely. Any ideas on how to remove it, and how to fix it so that I can reinstall the new bump stop?

TIA

#2 ·
Sounds like you broke the weld nut underneath the Sheetmetal.
I don't remember if there is any access for you to reach in with pliers to hold the nut and the continue removing the bumps top,
If no, then the only option is to cut the bumps top at the treads.
Then weld on a new nut on the top side.
But the over height of the bum stop will now be higher.
One other option is to drill a hole big enough, either on the top side or bottom, to see if you can reach in to remove the busted weldnut.
But you may want to weldback up a patch to cover the hole.

If there is access, remove the nut and use a regular nut with locktite to reinstall the bumps top,

#3 ·
One last option, you could get another weldnut, drill out the original hole and place the new weldnut in the hole and weld it to the LCA.
I would get a weldnut like this.

You can buy them from Grainger or MSC.

#4 ·
I figured that, but I was hoping there would be an quick/easy fix to solve this. I have access to a small mig welder, but I have no experience using it. Can the LCA handle welding on it without structurally weakening it? I am trying to figure out how to weld the new nut on flush with the top of the LCA, as it comes from the factory.

This is a PITA, but I think it would also be one to replace the LCA, and on top of it the extra cost of the part.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.