TTORA Forum banner

New coilovers...anything else to check?

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  DreamMachine 
#1 ·
Putting some new coilovers on my 01 prerunner...anything else that's easy to check while I have the front end up with the wheels off?
Planning on doing the steering rack bushings

120,000 miles with everything still original

#2 ·
Wheel bearings? I enjoy just laying under my truck and checking out everything. Looose bolts, oil leaks, axle seal leaks or frame rust and cracks. Also greasing u- joints is easy while I'm under there.

Nothing like laying down on a piece of cardboard for some good truck time.:D

#3 ·
Nothing like laying down on a piece of cardboard for some good truck time.:D
Haha I couldn't agree more. I went over to our hangar after work yesterday and picked the front end up in the air to check the rack. Slid in on a piece of cardboard and wound up falling asleep for about 15 min until my phone rang :mad:.

OP, you may as well check CV boots, brakes, brake lines, inner and outer tie rod ends for play, if the skids are off check the water pump for any leaks (timing belt and water pump should be done around your mileage if not done already). Is an oil change due soon? Have you changed the diff fluids, trans case fluids, transmission fluids?

#6 ·
thanks for the help

Have been reading up on the timing belt, doeasnt seem too bad. Gonna either have it done or do it soon

Changing tranny fluid is as easy as just draining old and refilling? Thought there was more to it for some reason lol

Stuff is on the way from wheelers so I'll post some pics when i get everything

#7 ·
After parts my tbelt project cost me less than $400. Quote from my dealership was over $1200 :eek:

Stick with OEM parts tho.

As for the trans question, no it's not that simple. There is a lot more fluid than is in the pan when doing a simple drain and refill. You can "Flush" your transmission which I'll never do. I'm paranoid that some particulate will clog up one of the trillion little passageways in the trans and fry it.

You can do the drain, refill, drive some, drain again, refill again, drive some more, drain again, refill again, drive some more.... method and theoretically you'll eventually end up with new fluid. I just do the simple 1 time drain and refill during my once a year maintenance when I do fuel filter, intake and check the plugs-n-wires routine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.