TTORA Forum banner

Mechanic Videos!

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Lee_hunter 
#1 ·
does anyone know of any websites to see step by step videos on how to repair things on ur truck i have a 86 yota with a leak from the timing cover and have no idea what im doing lol people have told me i do not have to remove the head to fix this problem but my factory manual says i do trying to avoid this if at all possible. i had a buddy who said they would help but would u believe he was as reliable as useing a one legged man to lean on!

#3 ·
The part of the gasket that extends over the timeing cover only keeps water and dirt out. It dosn't hold head pressure. Remove the crank pully and all the mounting bolts (keep track of where the bolts go they are different sizes) then take a blade and scrape the gasket free of the cover before removeing it. Do your best to keep it intact on the head. Then use permatex to reseal it when you put the cover back on. Remember to check the cover for wear. The chain guide wears out and the chain cuts the cover. Also check the crank shaft for wear at the seal. They sell a sleve and different seal to fix that if needed. The hardest part is getting the crank nut off. Do a search there are posts that explain how to do it. The 1st time I did it it took 4hrs a 12 pack of beer and an understanding friend to cuss at. Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.