TTORA Forum banner

82 pickup taillights

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Reelm 
#1 ·
Hey guys so the other day the fuse blew for my tailights wich is also the fuse for the backlighting on the gauge cluster. I replaced it with another 25 amp fuse but that one also blew so I threw a 30 amp just to see what would happen, it did not blow but I began to see smoke from right around the fuse box so I took the fuse out and I havent been able to figure out what is shorting the system. I have replaced all of the bulbe in the taillight system including reverse and turn signals, I have also replaced the connectors for the taillights. I pulled the cluster out and replaced a faulty ground and checked the bulb but this provided no help in the issue. Any info would be great, thanks guys. Ted

#2 ·
There has to be a wire somewhere touching another or grounding itself. If it keeps poping the fuse you have a bad wire somewhere. If yours is anything like my 79 then you have your work cut out for you. My wiring harness has been hacked up several times in its life and when I got it it was a maze to figure out what went where.

#3 ·
Never put in a bigger fuse than what is recommended.
Now an easier way to diagnose it, unplug the rear harness from under the passenger seat. Replace the fuse and if it doesnt pop, the wiring in back is bad. Most of the times when a toyota keeps popping the fuse for the running lights its from the back harness. Only once did I find the headlight switch bad and the other time it was a rusted firewall with a bad ground.

#5 · (Edited)
Hey guys so the other day the fuse blew for my tailights led lights wich is also the fuse for the backlighting on the gauge cluster. I replaced it with another 25 amp fuse but that one also blew so I threw a 30 amp just to see what would happen, it did not blow but I began to see smoke from right around the fuse box so I took the fuse out and I havent been able to figure out what is shorting the system. I have replaced all of the bulbe in the taillight system including reverse and turn signals, I have also replaced the connectors for the taillights. I pulled the cluster out and replaced a faulty ground and checked the bulb but this provided no help in the issue. Any info would be great, thanks guys. Ted
IF you not got the solution you can search in google or take help of some expert

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.