TTORA Forum banner

possible rear main leak

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  triplebeez 
#1 ·
hey guys, when i bought my truck there was a leak coming from the clutch fork boot. it was shredded all the way and sopping with engine oil, so i went ahead and replaced it. No leaks after that until last night when i did all of the fluids in my truck. i didnt personally check the dipstick to see where the oil level was because my dad was helping me and he was up top doing the safty checks and what not while i was doing the under work. everything checked out good to him. when i woke up for work this morning i walked outside to warm up my tuck and i noticed a pretty nice size oil spot on my driveway so i climbed underneath to see that my new clutch fork boot was leaking again....crap. so i popped the hood and was thinking the level was going to be alittle high due to the slight hill that i was parked on, but no it was passed the full level and on to the bare metal. could this be why it is leaking? or is it my rear main or something? thanks

#2 ·
That boot isn't there to keep the oil in your clutch.

Your clutch (and the entire area it lives in) is supposed to be dry.

The boot is supposed to be keeping the dirt and other stuff out.

Most likely it's something inside leaking and the rear main seal is a likely culprit.

Also, it's possible that something above the bell housing is leaking and the oil is running down into that area.

Is there oil on your valve covers or anything on the upper rear part of the motor?

Look around carefully. Make damn sure the leak is inside the bell housing before you tear it down. While repairing a leaky seal isn't that big of a deal, getting the transmission off to access it makes the job pretty big.

Generally speaking, it's a good idea to replace your clutch and pressure plate if you go in there for the seal. Those parts are surely worn and you will not want to go in twice.

#4 ·
my dad just told me that he spilled some oil when he put the new oil in, around the valve covers is dry. and the leak is getting better today being that it has only dripped three times as too the puddle i found yesterday. and it is the boot right next to the slave cylinder, marlins site says it was called a clutch fork boot, but i don't know what its really called

#6 ·
there is oil on the bottom of the bell housing that i believe is just from that spill because it was not leaking before we did the oil change

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.