TTORA Forum banner

rubbery creak in steering

993 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Jones 
#1 ·
A couple weeks ago I found myself pushing through a couple of runoff creeks up in the mountains. Nothing out of the ordinary really, only this time when we got to our camping spot I noticed my steering making some noise that I can only describe as a "rubbery creak". I'm picturing a lubricated metal rubbing on rubber under pressure.

Since then I had my truck in for an alignment and found out my upper ball joint was way loose, and a TRE and my rack bushings were worn.

My lower ball joints are only a few months old, my uppers are all-pro arms, I tightened the ball joint back up and I've greased the balls and zerk fittings in the arm mounts, I replaced my steering rack bushings and the inner tie rod end. There's no sway bar. Noise persists.

It won't creak with the front end jacked up, or just sitting in my driveway. The only thing I can think of is the new bushings in the steering rack are soft and cause a bit of play, but the noise will happen almost through an entire steering "cycle" from far left to far right and back. There can't be that much play in the bushings!

It's definitely not the regular steering pump "whine" (I've had that) and it's definitely coming from the rack/suspension/wheel area under the truck, as opposed to the steering wheel or post.

Any ideas?
Thanks.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.