TTORA Forum banner

2012 gas cap issue

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Shakerhood 
#1 ·
On my 2012 I seem to be having gas cap issues. for the 2nd time now the check engine light has come on because the gas cap wasnt put on correctly enough....At least according to the dealer.

Now, I dont claim to be an expert but ive worked on vehicles enough to know how to put on a damn gas cap, including multiple clicks when turning etc.

Is it possible I have a bad gas cap, or filler neck?

other possibly related problems are that the gas cap itself is extremely hard to remove at times. Hard enough that it is impossible for my gf to remove the cap and it actually hurts my hands to remove it. could the evap system not be functioning correctly causing too much vacuum on the cap?

And not sure if its related or not but my gas mileage seems to suck as I get a consistent 16.5 mpg and drive 90% freeway miles at 70mph..... considering how much im on the freeway thats terrible

I appreciate all of the help

#3 ·
Mileage sounds about right highest i ever got was 18ish cruising 65 on the hwy

#6 ·
Different truck, but I get 20mpg. On all highway, country roads etc. Doesn't matter how I drive either(unless I am 4x on the beach).

When I had a CEL I dropped to 16mpg. Your doing good!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.