TTORA Forum banner

Miserable with KYB

4K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Tro1086 
#1 ·
I have a 2000 Prerunner that is bone stock, except for KYB gas-a-just shocks my brother put on when he bought it 8 years ago. The Tacoma will be used by my wife, for driving around town. The most off-roading I will do is to go fishing, or launch my canoe. We use the truck every once in awhile for making 4 hour drives. I drive a Civic Si, so I am used to having a stiff suspension. I have done plenty of reading in the early tacoma tech section, but where I come to you for advice is the differing of opinions between my brother and I. He insists that I should get the Sway-A-Way 2.0s on the front, and that the extra price will be compensated for because we can install them ourselves in minutes. I believe the Sway-A-Ways to be overkill, and I would like to get Bilstein HDs put on while it is in the shop for some bodywork next week. My brother is a bit of a hard-ass, and would like this truck to be outfitted with coil-overs and a locker. I don't see the point as it is 2wd and a daily driver (note, I now own the truck).

Main question, does anyone know the difference in ride between the Sway-A-Ways and the Bilstein HDs?

Also, are the Bilstein HDs less stiff than the KYBs? Or are they just a better shock with regards to stability and performance?

Given my use of the truck, are Bilstein HDs too much? I do like to take turns at speed on the street occasionally, and don't mind sacrificing a bit of comfort for performance, but I have my Si for that. I don't want my wife to be jumbled around all day while she is driving.

I post this here because I met up with some guys on this forum for some wheeling when I had my 4x4, and I really like the site.
Thanks guys.

See less See more
#2 ·
You'll see alot better ride from the SAW as they are a fully adjustable shock. Not only can you adjust the ride height you can also adjust the valving of the shock for a soft or more firm ride.

If I had it all to do over again.....the adjustable coilovers would have been my FIRST modification.

#5 ·
some of the best and cheapest mods for tacomas/4runners, to improve the ride, are as simple as replacing the steering rack bushing, replacing the swaybar bushings, and adding better bumpstops. you can get all this from wheelersoffroad.

most people with CO's take off their swaybar, but for your intended usage, i'd leave it on. i'd also consider adding a rear swaybar from ADDCO.
for your application, consider adding a rear swaybar.
http://www.gadgetonline.com/Susp.htm#Sway Bars

as far as rear shocks, you won't go wrong with Bilstein.

#6 ·
I just recently replaced my fronts with saw 2.0 coilovers and it was a pretty stiff ride until i got my winch bumper now they ride really good but as far as adjusting them when i got themthey were preset with an inch of thread showin which was supposed to be stock height but my cvs were in a bind so i took them down to half in. I was told that they put longer coils on them which would explain why that was like that on my 4 cyl

#7 ·
If the only offroad this truck will see is going fishing and dropping a canoe off, then I think coil-overs are overkill. A locker is especially overkill. Just replace shocks with bilstein stockers and call it a day. These trucks came off the factory line ready for that kind of stuff.

Hell...your civic can handle those tasks.

Sounds like your brother is trying to sped your money to get something he wants.

#9 ·
I wouldn't even go with Bilstein HD's, go for the Biltein 5100's, cheaper and a better ride. Wheeler's Offroad carries them...

#10 ·
All pro has a bilstein adjustable coilover kit that looks pretty decent but its not much cheaper than the saws so it would be a tough choice. In the long run the saws would give more bang for the buck.

Id say if you have the cash to spare, then go for the SAWs. If your pinching pennies, id go for the front and rear bilstiens from Wheelers, about $330 for all four shocks vs. $775 for just front coil-overs. The "yellow and blue" bilstiens are probably even cheaper still if your on a serious budget. It really just comes down to what you want to spend.

IMO, nothing is really overkill, the SAWs will still give a good ride, even if your just driving around town, better then any crappy cheap chinese shock. If I were rich id have a long travel kit on my DD just so I could go thru dips in town at 50mph and not even feel them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.