TTORA Forum banner

idling problem? timing? WTF?

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  GRNCONDOR 
#1 ·
Its been a long time since I've been on here, a shitty marriage and a divorce will do that to ya!!
Anyways Im having a strange issue that sporadically kills my engine.
I have a 94 SR5 V6 automatic, stock other than a K&N air intake. Around 104,000 miles.

Around a month ago I was talking to a buddy about how bad my gas mileage is, suggested a new cap and rotor, spark plugs, wires, fuel filter, ect.

The spark plugs and fuel filter I replaced about two years ago. About a month ago I put in a new cap and rotor and new wires.

About two days later sitting at an intersection my truck died. Electric all working, radio still on, and all the lights on my instrument panel light up like when i start my truck.. I turned the key and she started right back up..

A few days later on the highway my check engine light flashed for a split second and it felt as though my engine died and started back up, there was a slight lunge in power...

Im pretty good and working on my truck when I know what the hell the problem is??? if anyone could point me in the right direction I would much appreciate it!

See less See more
#2 ·
sounds like a bad ground or the main power relay could be corroded or the main relay not seated in the box fully and is arcing check all fuses and relays have noticed any kind of burning electrical smell?

sorry for vague answers may be able to narrow down a bit more

#3 ·
My old 3.0h-no did that too. Finally tracked it down to a corroded battery cable. I agree with the above poster, check your contact points and your ground.

#5 ·
Damn as simple as that!
I have notice the battery terminal are a bit corroded... I over looked that, battery terminals always look a little nasty. I'll give em a good scrub and check my fuses and relays.
I did notice an electric smell a couple weeks ago but I was sure if it was my truck or another car on the road.
Thanks guys!!! I'll keep ya posted!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.