TTORA Forum banner

83 lights

9K views 47 replies 14 participants last post by  triplebeez 
#1 ·
hey everyone. i got pulled over the other day for my lights not being bright enough, so i need to find a decently cheap way to get brighter lights. is my only option an hid swap and if so whats the best kit? i really would rather just do brighter bulbs or something and not have to change wiring and everything. thanks

#2 ·
hey everyone. i got pulled over the other day for my lights not being bright enough, so i need to find a decently cheap way to get brighter lights. is my only option an hid swap and if so whats the best kit? i really would rather just do brighter bulbs or something and not have to change wiring and everything. thanks

#3 ·
what a pecker head

wow, what a pecker head cop.or are they really that dim? unless you have a dead battery/charging system I wouldn't think it would call for so dim to be being pulled over.

my ideas on brighter lights-non HID

When I switched to the GM alternator my lights got brighter. and it's an upgrade I preach about all the time being worth it by a lot (3-wire alt and distribution block setup)

I would think if you're charging system is ok, maybe your lights are crusty inside where they need to be shiny and reflective, so just getting some new lights or some hyper white style ones from auto parts store?

I have one of the black plastic ebay ones which i think will be worse than stock, but you could get the normal chrome housings with retro-fit bulbs and have more options for bulbs? maybe some hyper white ones.

Or be a bigger pecker head than the cop was and ride around with your bright lights on?lol

#4 ·
i thought about it haha, she was nice though, no ticket or warning, i just told her that i just bought the truck. i also dont have license plate lights so i shouldve gotten a ticket for that, but she was cool. ill look into those ultra whites, are they just plug and play?

#5 ·
Just get new bulbs. Maybe silverstar or something like that.

#7 ·
not quite sure the type of headlights on ur truck, but could look into true HIDs. mine work amazing

Posted from Tacomaterritory.com App for Android

#14 ·
i ended up getting sylvania 4000k's the guy at autozone had them and they looked good enough for me, just needed something a bit brighter

#15 ·
do the cheap ebay HID SWAP 5000k or 6000k they be hella bright

#16 ·
i dont really trust ebay electronics every since my sidekik phone pretty much exploded while i was charging it. those kits are super cheap though

#18 ·
I was actually looking at HID.....that is $$$. I was quoted at about $400 bucks for the setup....and that's without the conversion from sealed to open. Those are about 60 bucks for the pair. Plus I'm not sure how much more light they would throw out. If it's plainly obvious that you have xenons in a 198x 1st gen rig....it might get you a ticket lol.

#19 ·
I got a retrofit kit from theretrofitsource.com. Cost me somewhere around $230ish bucks for the kit when the group buy on tacomaworld was on, then like $30 for some new housings on partstrain. Did the retro for a little under $300 bucks I'd say, and it's by far my favourite upgrade on my truck. The lights are so bright, but a good bright because they are done the right way, with projectors. And the high beams are ridiculous, no need for aux lights :p It's all custom work though, you have to cut the housings and glue/mount the projectors in. Well worth it though.

#21 ·
I had a set of Silverstar on my 85 and kept blowing fuses so I went back to stock. You don't have one headlight dim do you?

#22 ·
actually, I did the $100 ebay HID on my truck, couldn't been happier, insanely bright, true HID, not just the blue bulbs...

#23 ·

this is my taco with the hid kit

#36 ·
People must just hate driving past you. Either that's a terrible picture, or you did HID's the cheap, and very bad/illegal way. I want to drive into people with lights like that. If you're gonna do HID's, do them proper and get projectors. You get a way nicer beam, and the cutoff line is sexy. Keeps everyone else on the road happy too, including cops.

OP, if you end up going the HID route, don't just get the bulbs, you need projectors too.

I love my HID's so much, that it was one of the few things I swapped over from my pickup to my 4runner. They look pretty cool too, makes people do a double take when they walk by and see projectors on a 20-30 year old 4x4 lol.

#25 ·
no, both are as bright as i think they should be, my friend taylor said that all toyotas just have really bad headlights, and all fuses are intact

#26 ·
those sylvania work great, I hav had a few of them myself. before my hids I had them. since my right headlights leaks water, the hids worked even better bc I popped bulbs everytime it rained, and the hids didn't care could submerge them and wouldn't pop. finally one burnt out bit ago so now just running sylvanias again lol. still have the kit, just dont hav money to pay for a new hid bulb right now
just also saving up to pick up a new headlights housing too

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.