TTORA Forum banner

brake lights not working

4K views 23 replies 6 participants last post by  The Boy 
#1 ·
well got off work today, got in my truck drove fine, moved truck from garage to front of office. then went to leave couple mins later and truck wouldn't go onto gear (auto trans) would not leave park. then noticed the brake lights weren't working. I'm guessing its the brake sensor located on the top of your brake pedal that senses when you press the brakes?
used the little button on the gear selector to bypass the P gear and drove home with no brake lights.

Posted from Tacomaterritory.com App for Android

#2 ·
sorry.. brake light switch***

#4 ·
I'm heading to my truck right now, gonna go check all fuses. my question is tho, why did the fuse pop if it is the fuse? they don't just pop...

#5 ·
over time they can were out even if they have a slight short but im guessing the same thing brake switch

#6 ·
ok so I'm in my truck right now, under hood found which fuse was for brakes, it was popped. had a spare, installed spare, hit my brakes, popped the new fuse.

#7 ·
since the new fuse was popped immediately, I located the brake light switch. anyone know how to remove it? I unplugged it no problem, but I can't access it. its surrounded by the metal brackets holding the brake pedal.
any help please

#8 ·
well after doing research on Google, found out just twist and pops right out, counter clockwise.

#9 ·
this is strange, here is the part online.

and this is the part I took out... doesn't exactly look the same

#12 ·
u think its not the switch itself then? :(
bc all my lights are working fine, and so far I've never tapped into that system of lighting
I ordered part through Toyota, should be here next day or two

#13 ·
when the brake light fuse pops do you have any dash lights? have you installed any new stereos or electrical stuff? maybe something came loose and is causing a short

#14 ·
everything else works fine. there is an aftermarket head unit in my truck installed about year and half ago, Havnt offroaded since been put in just as side note. so the part should arrive tomorrow, so I'll hopefully get it in and everything will b fine once I also get new fuse as well lol

#16 ·
well great, got new fuse, and brake sensor from Toyota, simple install, fuse went in, then same exact part that I took out so went in within 30 seconds.
but now.... my brake lights won't turn off... I made sure the sensor was not depressed or anything... so after messing with it, I completely took out the sensor, and just plugged it in while hanging there... same problem, brake lights won't turn off...
any ideas?
crap... :(

#17 ·
ok well I'll admit, I'm an idiot... got it all fixed

#18 ·
I guess what you actually do, IS make sure the sensor IS pressed in all the way, and when u engage the pedal it releases the button engaging the brake lights... sorry, I know all about mechanics of brakes and engines, nothing about electrical or computers. just took 10 mins of Google search and found same problem someone answered on a Honda forum lol. well thanks guys, and now there's a thread on this is anyone needs to know

#19 ·
So the switch actually fixed the problem of blowing the fuse? Im amazed, I really didnt think that would fix it.

#20 ·
yeah I am too, looking at the old one, I can see black and some white marks on the sliding brass pieces, that's where must hav been shorting out. prolly could hav actually just fixed that and added some electrical grease would hav prolly been good to go, but oh well

#22 · (Edited)
well got off work today, got in my truck drove fine, moved truck from garage to front of office. then visit this went to leave couple mins later and truck wouldn't go onto gear (auto trans) would not leave park. then noticed the brake lights weren't working. I'm guessing its the brake sensor located on the top of your brake pedal that senses when you press the brakes?
used the little button on the gear selector to bypass the P gear and drove home with no brake lights.

You might need to change that light switch

#23 ·
wow someone didnt read the whole thread lol......glad to see you fixed it i was going to post that it needed to be depressed all the way but you got it first haha great job on the fix

#24 ·
yeah thx guys. well at least now there's a thread here on this simple problem and fix.
its cool that my hookup at Toyota got me the fuse and the switch for only $1.33 :) total out of pocket
luckily the part looked exactly like the one I took off, so there was no ? about it or how to insert it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.