TTORA Forum banner

Transfer case bought the farm

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Byron1979 
#1 ·
I have a 2002 3.4 man Tacoma that needs a new transfer case. The parts guy is asking me if there is a diff motor in it. Apparently there are 2 models of tcase for my truck. How do i determine which one i need? Thanks in advance...

#2 ·
This is the info they should need-
Year - 2002
Model - Tacoma
Engine - 3.4L
Transmission - 5 speed
4wd type - Push button or J-Shift

The push button 4WD models have a black motor mounted to the back of the transfer which engages the 4WD. The J-shift models do not.

#3 ·
The push button 4WD models have a black motor mounted to the back of the transfer which engages the 4WD. The J-shift models do not.
Just stumbled upon this. I have no intelligent response or answer but I'm gonna hijack real quick.

I am looking for one of these motors as a spare. If anyone has any leads please let me know. Thanks

Ok...Hijack over...sorry ;)

#5 ·
The 5 speed 3.4 comes with only one model t-case. The truck can come with two models, but that would be a 4cyl 5 speed non ADD scenario. Which is the less beefier scenario due to manual hubs are a 23 spline and the add is a 26 and the manuals have a step down collar on it where it penetrates the hub, and they're notorious for snapping right there. I know that's not part of what you asked, but most people don't know that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.